Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We were born in a wrong country bros

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Aug 10, 2005.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  2. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    This isn't the first time. When I was over there they had a channel virtually dedicated to Starcraft. Guys playing for that many hours in internet cafes is pretty normal among the more geekier parts of society.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    do they have endoresement deals with shoe companies?

shoes...for sitting down?

4. Some dude killed himself (United States) over EverQuest. The MMORPG... :meh:

Massive
    Multiplayer
    Role
    Playing
    Game

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I was teaching in China many of my students would do an all-night deal at the net cafes where they would pay 10 yuan and basically get locked in the place and play games all night. I'm sure some of them probably stayed through the next day. I don't know that they would stay in the place ALL weekend but it wouldn't surprise me. They were some counterstrike playin' mothers.

brad cook

6. We used to do role playing at work. It sucked, but I didn't know it could kill you.

Mike

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I like to do the role playing as the role of the customer against my boss. I always screw him over. Sadly he rarely picks me anymore.

8. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    These games should be outlawed! They are clearly too dangerous to be allowed into the hand of anyone, ever!

/sarcasam off...its only 4:30, I can grind another level on WoW before bed...

9. psh warkraft n' starkraft r 4 n00bz. cs;sourze yo! FPS!

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    campin' noob :D

11. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    My mom and I used to be hardcore Everquesters. In addition to leveling our own characters and earning gear, we also spent more money on Ebay'ed items than I did on my car (I would guess $20,000 but my mom handled all the Ebaying). She could run two characters at once on two seperate computers and I could run five characters at once spread over two computers. We were insane, and yeah, I did marathon sessions like the one described above. I eventually got bored of it and I quit a few years ago.

Anyone here ever play on the Nameless server? If so you probably hated us ;) My mom plays WoW now, but I think she's gone 'legit.'

12. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    About once a month I attend a LAN party somewhere... and it usually lasts about 72 hours. The ones that are sponsored I can win cash at, or my team can, whichever. I don't mind, it's fun playing games for that long, and trying not to go psycho after being up for so long. I think it's taking a toll mostly on my bladder though... start a new game and have to "hold it" for 7 or 8 hours... not healthy. But, the doc says I'm in fine shape. :smug:

-Ray

13. There are a lot of lan centers in the U.S. that do the same thing. I'm fairly guilty of doing all-nighters of counterstrike too :oops:

14. Some of the more hardcore LAN nerds I know actually bought a bottle designed for LAN users...basically you pee through a tube very discreetly whilst playing.

They didn't make this either, there is actually some company that makes these. You might want to check that out.

15. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Nasa?

16. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I actually was HUGE playing Dark Age of Camelot, and actually started a fairly respectable clan with a few work people, then friends, and I got out shortly before the tshirt orders came in. WOW, we had shirts made with cape outlines on the back and our guild crest. That was loserish.

Other than that, I was big on Counterstrike. But had to stop when my wrists went kaput.

17. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I love how everquest gets mentioned in that article when it had virtually nothing to do with the actual situation. Ten years from now it will still be mentioned when some dude dies playing halo 18 for 82 hours straight.

If it wasn't Starcraft for this guy it would have been drugs, alcohol or a myriad of other addictions. When was the last time you read about a guy who died because of a 50 hour drunken bender? I'm sure that happens way more often.

I must apologize, as an avid gamer these kind of stories really tend to irk me off. I guess since it's such a new phenomenon the media chomps at the bit to get some interesting news out.

18. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    u gotz skillz 4 pl4y1ng t3h 4w3som3 g4mez... u r no n00b, u r t3h pro!

Hehe, that made me laugh. Seriously though, I'm not affilated with them in anyway, but they're worth checking out when you have a bit of spare time.

Seriously? That game was addictive... Seriously addictive... *must resist urge...* GAH!

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    whoa...

20. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Is Starcraft still that big? IIRC, it's from 1998... yeah, it's a good one, one of my all-time favourites, but it still struck me as strange that
    1. he would be playing a game so old
    2. it's no mmorpg, but rts...