Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We were soldiers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Pacman, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Anyone else seen this movie yet? It's about the 1st battle involving Americans in Viet Nam. Based on Hal Moore's book "We Were Soliders Once...and Young". It has to be one of the most powerful movies I've ever seen. I sat on the couch after it was over and just bawled for about 10 minutes.....

If you ever needed an example of a great leader, Hal Moore is it.....

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    very good movie.... very heavy!

I can understand the "I sat on the couch after it was over and just bawled for about 10 minutes...." part, completely!

P@

3. I saw it, bought it, and bought the score.
    Nice score to play along with, at least most of it.
    Great movie

4. I agree - excellent movie... those poor boys must have experienced fear that is indescribable.

5. Great movie! I was impressed with it much more than I thought I would be.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I thought it was going to be stupid and it turned out okay...wasn't that great...

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I saw it, and couldn't stop wondering why the heck Gibson and Elliot kept standing up in the middle of the battles whenever they walked somewhere...?

Though it WAS a good movie, and I particularly liked Barry Pepper's character.

Black Hawk Down is STILL the most powerfull war film I have ever seen, along with one of the most powerfull movies war issues not withstanding. We Were Soldiers was damned good though.

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Well, Gibson didn't stand as much as Elliot. But he was standing up because he's the Sergeant Major! I think he nailed that part (to include that detail). He was the consumate SGM.

9. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Yep, that would be it...I was like hell yeah, there's the first sergeant kicking ass with no fear.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ? They stand upright even when under enemy fire like that?

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i saw it...awesome movie

you have to understand the strength that field commanders have to display to their men. if they don't, their orders won't be followed and the morale of the men they command will go to sh!#. i loved elliot's part...the quintessential "pissed off at everything for no particular reason" smadge. i love those guys...

12. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You guys oughta read the book....the movie leaves out a lot of stuff, necessarily, I'm sure. Pacman, I had the same reactions from the book.

BTW...they filmed parts of that movie here in Columbus, GA and out of Ft. Benning. Lotsa locals involved in the filming and the cast hung out quite often in a couple of local clubs. Several of the real-life folks that the characters in the movie were based on also still live here. It was a BIG deal when it finally came out.

13. I thought it was a good movie, but Viet Nam was way before my time. It didn't effect me nearly as much as Black Hawk Down did.

Sam Elliot's character was fantastic. Hard as nails Sgt Major. Reminds me of a couple guys I know.

I don't know if it's out on DVD yet, but it is on my movies to buy list.

14. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's on DVD, I bought it (before I saw it), at the same time I bought Black Hawk Down.

15. I just like it for the part where the man whose wife had a baby gets napalmed and his leg skin peels off.

and Mel GIbson sucks, that ruined the movie.

16. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Guess you could've done better, huh? :rolleyes:

17. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I hated it too.... it was too fake and heroic to me... It just looked like a predictable cliche war movie....
    It starts with silence in an empty field, all of a sudden a bomb goes off. You know that every charater you love except Mel is going to die...

I've watched every episode of Band of Brothers, and Back Hawk Down etc, and i really think BoB is the best i've seen.

We were soilders just looks like another one of Mel Gibson's self directed "look at how cool i am" movies. Braveheart, The Patriot, etc...

sorry to go against the grain, but i just thought i'd add a little to the other side of the discussion besides "mel sucks"

18. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    So what did you guys think of "Saving Private Ryan"? I myself thought that was a great movie, and very inspiring.

What must be remembered is that these things actually happened to actual people, and it's very likely that the movies have watered down the actual experience. Try to imagine yourself in these sitatuations. Forget about the actors...they're just vehicles for the story.

19. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Huh, funny you thought it was fake.

It's a true story.

20. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    I remember Band of Brothers...want to talk about inspiration, I think I **** my pants when Lt. Spears ran right past an encampment of Nazi's to link up with another company and then ran back, all while being shot at by like 20 nazi's. Or Cpt. Winters standing up high in the air while he grabbed men out of their foxholes to fight.

By the way, its based off a true story...doesn't make every little think about it true. I read the book Blackhawk Down and they got so much stuff wrong. They got the jist of it and thats about it.