Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

We Will Now Forget-- or at Least I Won't

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Petary791, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    It seems i'm the only person who remembers that 4 years ago today that we were attacked? I don't get it. I'm the only person out of everyone i've talked to today (lots of people) who really cares. My pastor didn't even bring it up in church!

So, um, am I being lame?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I must admit, i havent heard much from people today.

3. I got married Sept 16th the year before 9/11. Never went back to church. So we went to church on our anniversary, first Sun after 9/11. Our Priest said "I see it takes a disaster to get you guys back in church, eh?" I said "Well, she's a handful at times, but I wouldn't call the marriage a disaster quite yet. Jury's still out, after all its only our first anniversary this weekend." :D

Randy

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yep.

Why keep dragging up painful memories. It sucks... but us remebering it does nothing except bring people down and turn into heated stupid debate.

People were murdered... that sucks. But why don't we bring up the The Boston Massacre. That sucked too. I believe if we live in the past, we can't move forward and our hearts fill with rage.

I'm done with 9/11... I'm sick of seeing stickers that say "Remeber 9/11"... why? What good does it do?

5. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i care, it just don't badger people about it

aside from the first few months after when everyone was patriotic, it has taken a back seat to a lot of things (especially Katrina)

but yes, i care

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It allows you to justify all kinds of reactions.

Petary - Without googling, what date did WW2 end on?

You don't know? Thats pretty poor considering two thousand eight hundred and twenty five times the people that died in the WTC died during WW2.

Point proven, thanks.

7. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah you're kinda right Toasted. I know it was 1945, I think in August.

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    With the exception of the Jews, the vast majority of the deaths were combatants.

The people who died in the WTC were civilians at work... making phone calls, running trying to not be late, going to a meeting, flipping on the PC to check stocks, etc... There is a huge difference. Except for the hijackers, none of them took those jobs knowing death by fire-ball may be in there future.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Great Post Petary, I feel one thing we do WAY TO EASILY IN THIS COUNTRY IS FORGET. 9/11 changed history and if we don't stay vigilant it will happen again, and these people are so filled with hate I shudder to think at what would happen if they got a hold of a nuclear weapon. We can NEVER BE REMINDED too much of this attack and the hate filled extremist who would like to do it again with more dead Americans. Like the Tubes in London we must always remember that "collateral damage" is not an issue to our enemies.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So, human lives aren't equal then? Am I more 'worthy' than you, or are you more worthy than me?

Your point is completely irrelevant.

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We all remember. It would be impossible to forget.

Whats the point of making a thread about it and bringing it up in conversation again? That kind of thing could only lead to arguments, and I personally think quiet reflection is a beter memorial to those who lost their lives than fighting online.

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm not trying to fight. :meh:

13. Still, vastly many more civilians died in WWII than in 9/11. Look at the Blitz in London, the Dresden firebombings, the seige of Stalingrad, Tokyo was virtually wiped off the map by firebombing, let alone Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Comparing civilian casualties, 9/11 is a drop in the bucket in comparison to any one of those cities, relatively insignificant, both in terms of people killed and destruction of property, basically a couple of buildings. Its only shocking and traumatic because we've come to believe we are a mighty superpower entitled to complete safety in our daily existence, and that belief was what was shattered on 9/11. That is what was so traumatic, not 3000 deaths. More people die from drunk driving every year than died on 9/11.

Randy

14. MurdocRocks

MurdocRocks

Jun 18, 2005
    Torrance, CA
    I don't think we should care so much. I think we've gotten more than revenge considering the war in Iraq... despite it having nothing to do with terrorists. I'm pretty sure it's something like 25,000 civilians have died over there due to our invasion. :rollno:

15. Yeah, goood point, unfortunately we're running a huge karma deficit now too.

Randy

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Acctually...
    Around 6 million Jews died in hands of Hitler, but Hitler killed 12+ million people in his camps guess who other 6 million were... yeah.... all civilians plus some POW's from Russian side... Mostly civilians...

I understand that sometimes we don’t count but give me a freaking break Mike...

On original point of this thread... we care... we remember... some of us choose not to bring that up every year... But if you think you should then sure... i think everyone should be respectful to the fact that you feel that way as you should be respectful to fact that some of us just want to keep it in us and not bring it up...

Oh and yeah... WW2 in Europe ended May 8th or 9th (depends where you at) ww2 in pacific ended... VJ day is aug 15th but the signing of unconditional surrender on USS Missouri was sept 2nd...

17. this is getting closed/moved in

if we have such a thread in OT , can't we just remember the victims and keep the political part out ( and discuss that
    in TPA? ) :confused:

18. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

As a former Paramedic/firefighter I take great offence to your post.
    You don't have to live in the past, but take note from what occured and review the lessons learned.

Remember 9/11/01

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ok... lets see what I learned...

Don't crash a plane into a sky scraper
    Don't be in a plane that crashes into a sky scraper
    Don't be in a sky scraper that a plane crashes into.

Sorry for being a jerk, but there are no lessons learned. People say that we learned that we are never safe... I don't think that's any way to live.

It's in the history books now folks, nothing left to discuss.

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I really don’t understand why... I personally could take offence to the post that say "just because i didn’t start a thread about it i don’t care and should be ashamed of myself". But i don’t... why must everyone take every point of view as "offensive".

If you one does not want an answer that might offend him/her why would that question be asked...

This thread would be much better off if it didnt ask question of why we didnt post about it... just a simple "RIP to victims" would do...