Weak d and G

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toby, Feb 10, 2005.

1. toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I recently bought a used American Deluxe P Bass. It plays great (even better action than my tobias) But the d and g strings all but dissapear. When I hit the e or a my rig shakes the room. I have tried compression, adjusting the woofers and horns, every eq setting I could, but I just cant get those 2 high strings to even out. Anyone know a cause and solution for this? The strings look like they are in good shape. FYI I have a GK 700rbII head with a 4x10 cab and a 1x15 (saving up for aggy tube head and hopefully that new gs 412 they have)
  2. Did you check the pickups' height? The D and G strings' coil may be lower than the other.
  3. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Have you played with the pickup height?
  4. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    welcome to the world of P-bass. does the gk head have an eq? you can try to crack your highs and some mid. i had a p-bass for a while. i think most people that play P-basses mainly stay on the e and a strings. mess with an eq or sell it and get a jazz bass. there not as boomy but all the strings are the same level. i had the same problem with gibson t-birds. some guys like that boomy sound i guess.
  5. Panther

Dec 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia
    Try either an EQ and/or compressor.
  6. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Most people who have P-Basses do not stay on the E and A strings.

Try a different set of strings. I've got a P-Bass and not all strings sound great on it. Some do leave the D and G weak.

First try the pickup height suggestion. Either lower your E and A pickup, or raise your D an G pickup, or do both.

If that doesn't do anything, then try a different brand of strings. Hard to tell what ones will work for you. Trial and error.

Perhaps a heavier gauge as well. I tried G's at .50 and D's at .65 and they came alive. But I've also tried lighter gauges of different brands that work too.

Most likely culprits are pick-up height and strings.
  7. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Don't paint with such a broad brush, there are plenty of P bassers who don't just play on E and A, why would they?
    I used to have a MIM P-bass, and initially encountered this problem, turned out it was a combination of pickup height and my playing. What you can do, has been suggested as far as the pickups go, without changing them out - lower the E/A side, and raise the D/G side. Also check the wiring, though I doubt that's of any help.