1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weak G string on Musicman style pickup.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ferengo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Ferengo

Ferengo

Jan 13, 2010
    Dundee, Scotland
    Hi guys.

I have a bass which has a musicman style pickup by Kent Armstrong. I'm finding the G weak. I've adjusted pickup height but it didn't work. I can't adjust the pole pieces as I think it's a blade pickup and also it's sealed with a plastic resin. Any suggestions other than adjusting string height?

Thanks.

2. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    There have been many threads about this.
    This is the nature of this bass; I have had 2 and both were similar.
    I don't think it is so much about volume but rather the bass response is much lower for the G string.
    I found right hand technique worked the best.

3. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I know this is an old thread but it was all I could find about the Armstrong MM pup.I have a weak D string.After I encountered this problem my research leads me to the conclusion that it is a somewhat common problem in one form or another.Strange indeed.

4. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've only heard / read / experienced a weak G string but also have only used stock SR pups.

5. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The Kent Armstrong MM pickup uses blade style magnet poles and not individual pole pieces so it won't exhibit the same weak G string problem as some stock EBMM pickups where the pole piece doesn't line up with the string.

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you adjust MM pickups with the G side close and the E side far away, farther than a typical fender pickup. the big MM poles shouldn't be close to the bigger strings

7. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island

8. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    That's true but the difference is noticably softer.I am going to follow @walterw advice but is it possible my pup is defective?

9. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    It's hard to say if it's the pickup or not, but the whole point of blade/bar magnets is to have a uniform magnetic field under the strings. It would be unlikely that one small section of a bar magnet could be locally degaussed in a way to lower the output of a single string. But never say never...

Assuming you have this wired to a preamp, to isolate the problem you could wire the pickup straight to the output jack and see if the volume drop is still present.

But before you do that, there is an easier preliminary test: loosen or remove the strings, plug the bass into an amp or audio interface, and gently tap with a small screwdriver up and down the pickup and see if the volume is even or if it drops where the D string would be. An audio interface or mixer would be ideal because you could see any difference in level on the input meters.

10. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Thanks,I have an interface and I'll try your suggestion if raising it closer to the D fails.BTW this is a passive pup without a preamp.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021