Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weak G string on my 3 band eq Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Faded, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    I play in a reggae rock band, and of course, my Stingray isn't the best bass for the job. I have to eq the hell out of it to get a good rumbly sound, and my G string practically disappears when I do. Can I fix that, or is that something that I'm going to have to live with?

2. Post eb rays are notorious for having weak g's and sometimes d's. You can raise the pickup height, changet the pickup, there are a few things you can do. If you run a search here, or ask or search on the eb forums you will get a few answers.

3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Maybe it's the string, have you replaced it? Is the string directly over the pole piece? Does it sound consistent with the other strings when you use a more "normal" eq? If so, you may just be zapping all those frequencies.

4. Faded

Faded

Dec 26, 2004
    Santa Barbara
    Its not the string. I have replaced it several times.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

nothing unusual about that with most pups I've tried. Most pups you can get a desired tone and balance on the D & G or E & A but getting them all where you want them is fairly uncommon. Pups aside, the acoustic properties of the individual bass can be a factor as well as it's match to a particular pup.

All the Ray pups I've seen have staggered poles so I assume yours is no different. I don't know if Rays have a serious radius on the neck or if they do that to try and balance strings but I hear players bitch of the lack of balance in Rays frequently. Most Alnico 5 MM replacements are copied after the original MM tone - and they don't have staggered poles - so you may have better luck with one of those without altering the tone considerably. A Nord or whatever. However if the bass does have a lot of radius than level poles would probably not be a good idea.

Regardless, if they Ray suits your needs otherwise, I wouldn't jack with it. You can pick up a cheap bass for playing reggae.