weak low b on a 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nighthound, Dec 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    Hey everyone,

What would you do if you spent some good money on a 6 string bass that suffers from a weak low B string, and has little resale value?

The low B mostly suffers from punch, (not volume) It sounds ok with the preamp on but without it no good. I prefer the tone of the bass without the preamp..

1 Should I try a heavier string? I already have a 135. Should I try a 145?

2 Should I try to change out the pickups? (*even thought these pickups are newer design for the company and have high output)

3 Sell it and take a beatin' (loose a lot of money)

Thanks for your input!
    Andre'

2. The Chuck

The Chuck

Dec 11, 2013
    Wilmington, NC
    Have you tried adjusting the PU height? You can make it a half turn lower of higher at a time on that side. Just remember where you start so you can put it back when you are done fiddling with it.

If that doesn't do it I'd try strings, then new PUs.

3. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    They are radius pickups so I can't really raise or favor the bass side. I have messed with the height of the pickups but they are pretty high up already. Waiting for the .145 string I'll let you know how it tuns out. It just bothers me that my cheap bass's low B with quarter pounders sound great with any gauge or type strings. I wish I could get quarterpounder 6 string soap bars.

4. Check the setup and pickups. Free if you do it yourself.

5. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    It just seems that no matter what I dude the Low B string lacks punch. I tried adjusting pickups. I just threw a .145 on there and it really didn't help any maybe even made it sound worst. The thing that bothers me is that all the other strings sounds good. So if the other strings sound good could the pickups still be the blame?

6. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    Try changing string brands. My B got tighter and punchier when I switched from .136 Circle K's to .125 Rotosounds.

7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

34" or 35"scale?

8. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    34" but I really don;t think that;s the problem. I have two other basses with great punchy low B that are 34". The more I try to figure out, I really suspect its these super curvy radius pickups. The curve really low towards the ends and this leads the low B string much farther from the pickup then the E and A strings. Even if I raise the pickup on the bass side I will bottom out.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021