1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

weak output for EMG j pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MtnGoat, Apr 16, 2006.

1. MtnGoat

MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    MA/NH
    Hi,
    I recently acquired a USA jazz bass with EMGs (9v). The output on this bass is weak and I'm wondering what the optimal distance from the strings is, or if any other tweeks can be done to optimize the sound. By the way, a new battery gives the same result.
    Thanks,
    RK

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

something wrong somewhere. One of the pluses of actives is you can set them as close to the strings as you want. What's optimal is up to the player as altering the spacing will alter tone.

Ideally you want to check a battery with a meter but a known good battery is the next best thing. 9V, 18, 27, really isn't going to matter. EMG said more V increases transient response and slight output but can't say I've been able to tell any difference.

Can't say as I ever had an EMG pup that was defective - and I've had some pretty hammered EMGs.

Tweaking options is relative to what's in the harness.

Most likely something screwed up in the harness that's the source.

You can always wire a pup straight to the jack to rule out issues with the pup - unless the jacks screwed up. Definitely isolate the problem to the bass before doing anything to the bass - cord, amp. Simplify the signal chain to bare bones. The more stuff the more possible sources for the problem not being in the bass.