1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weak output on the D/G pup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Sep 20, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I dont seem to be getting much deep bass from the d/g pickup on my P bass. The pickups are 1/4 pounders. I recently did a shielding job, star grounding etc, and ever since I've had this problem.

I still get volume out of the pup just no "beef".

Any ideas?

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    Try raising the pickup. I don't if it will help but it's worth a shot.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I tried that. It doesnt get bass-ier just louder.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I believe that's why the "reverse P" has a loyal following.

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It wont change the tone. Try changing your EQ.

I'm one of them. Most of the split soapbars I've seen are reversed.

6. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    I have this problem, too. I keep the tone knob on my J back at about 1/4 because I like the deep bottom, but there ain't much happening on the G, especially above the fifth fret (not that I go there all that often :)). I've raised the D/G end of the pickups as much as I safely can, but still no joy. Is there any way to keep the deep thump and still get something out of the upper register on the instrument?

7. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Interesting.

Any picks of the "reversed P" ???

8. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Here's my version of one. I guess it's "double-reversed". :D

Actually it's a better P than a P, IMO because of the PU.

Attached Files:

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    All the spit coil soapbars are reversed.

Lee Sklar has two sets of EMG-P's on his bass, both reversed. I have found the same thing as he did, it gives you smoother treble strings, and tighter bass strings, and you don't hear that jump from one coil to the other, as on a regular P bass.

10. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    What exactly do you mean by a "reverse P"?

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    On a standard P bass, the half of the pickup for the bass strings is closer to the neck. On a reverse P the treble coil is closer to the neck.

Since the top two strings sound thinner than the bottom, the standard positioning just exaggerates that difference. With the reverse setup you have a more balanced tone from the strings.

it's the same with the slated bridge pickup on a Strat or Tele. It makes the higher strings sound very thin, and the lower strings bassier.

You see some basses like Warwicks where they slant the pickup so the low strings are brighter, by moving that end of the pickup closer to the bridge.

It's subtle, but you can hear it.

12. If you didn't have the problem before, rewired your bass and it appeared, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do woth your pickups or the fact that your P-bass is not reversed.

You must have done somthing wrong somewhere. Maybe you accidently hit the coil of the pickup with your soldering iron, or maybe you have a bad solder joint somewhere.

If the problem just appeared like that you did something wrong somewhere.

13. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    OK.. is there also a J pickup on the bass? If so, is it thin sounding when you have both pickups on?

If that's the case, the phase is reversed on the thin sounding coil.

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I think I figured it out. I am not 100% sure on this, but I think its a combination of pup height, but more importantly the strings were too close to the fingerboard. Its weird because I am not getting any buzz but when I raise the strings using the bridge, the tone gets noticeably better. Still not completely satisfied though.