1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Weak sound coming from woods?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Alexander, Apr 29, 2006.

1. Hello, all.

I have a Peavey Millenium BXP 5-string. Lately, I have noticed that the sound is very thin, especially on the E and B strings. The whole bass also lacks punch. I was wondering if these sounds are coming from the woods in the bass. The bass is weak acoustically as well. Here are the specs on the bass:

Stock Passive J pickups
    String-through basswood body
    Quilted maple top
    Bolt-on maple neck
    Rosewood finerboard
    D'Addario XL nickel-round strings (gauges .045-.130)

Thanks

2. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    There's nothing odd about the woods used on your bass. It's a pretty common combo from what I've seen. Some might gripe about the basswood, but Bongos are made of it and they apparently have enough bottom and punch to be used in demolition. You say that "lately" you've noticed that it sounds thin and punchless. Did it at one time sound fat and punchy? The reason I ask is because I often have to change settings on my bass or amp to get a sound that I like. On my Lakland 55-02 I've gone for weeks using only the MM pup, and the last 6 rehearsals I've been using a combination of the J/J settings. I guess what I'm trying to get at is, are your ears changing, or did the Peavey always sound that way?

3. I think my ears are changing. I think they are becoming more sensitive to the sound of my bass. I don't think this bass ever sounded punchy and fat.

4. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Sounds like you've got one of the first symptoms of a GAS attack. The 34" scale of the Millenium probably isn't helping the B string either. Maybe you should take it down to a store and compare it to some other 5ers with similar wood combos and/or longer scales. You might find something more to your liking.

5. May sound stupid, but have you tried sticking some new strings on there?

6. You have no idea ;)

Pretty soon I am off to go try out some 35" scale 5ers. Ill see if that sounds any different for me.

Mohawk,
    I have had some GHS strings on there before, and it didnt seem to make any difference to me, and I have had GHS on other basses and they make a world of difference. The strings on my bass right now are 5-6 months old. Would that change the fullness of the bass, or just the brightness?

7. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Isn't basswood a pretty bassy (hence the name?) sounding wood? I really don't think the wood can be blamed for your bass's lack of deepness. Perhaps it's the pickups.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually i believe its pernounced Bass like the fish, not sure though.

The wood shouldnt be the problem. I think the electronics just arent your style.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I was half-joking, I gots to look this up in the OED sometime, I have no idea where the name comes from.

10. If a string change does'nt help, check the nut slots for proper fit. And check the string wraps on the tuner post, that their not cross-wrapped, and that the break angle from nut to post is sharp enough. (if you have'nt already checked these things, that is)

11. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    It's a really light, dentable wood that tends to muddy up the low/low-mid range, imo. It can put out some rumble, but it doesn't articulate very well down there at all, IME.

12. I'm lucky enough to have lots of basses, and my current fave is a MIJ precision (86/87) made of basswood. I play it in a classic rock/blues band and it has tone by the bucketload!

Col