1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

weaning off of caffeine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by groooooove, Aug 28, 2012.

1. according to some google searches, the easiest way to quit caffeine is by mixing 1/4th decaf in with each serving, for a week. the 2nd week half decaf, next week 1/4th regular, less and less regular until you dont need it anymore.

anyone tried it? i'd imagine getting from 1/4th regular to not needing any at all will be rough.

tips?

is it worth trying?

2. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I went cold turkey last week and it didn't even affect me in the slightest. We're not talking about heroin here...

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    buy some Excedrin or other caffeinated migraine pills to use when you get a headache from the withdrawal... and then just stop :)

I know I consume too much so I've switched to caffeine free soda when I drink it and usually buy decaf tea. I still drink 3 or 4 coffees a day but every couple months go a day or 2 without just to kind of reset myself.

4. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's worth trying if you have an over reliance on caffeine to function. I would suggest that if you are over reliant, you should expect some moderate headaches and sluggishness for the first few days (which is obvious)...but it's not unbearable on the whole.

So you're a bit cranky for a few days to a week, the benefits outweigh it.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Just quit the caffeine. The first week is kinda hairy, but after that it's no big deal.

6. BassGuyFL

BassGuyFL Formerly known as RichardCranium Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Boynton Bch FL
    I tried the last few days to see if it'd help I've been having a hell of a time sleeping lately but I made it about 2 days. Just had splitting headaches and felt like I haven't slept for a week.

7. Quit caffeine? That's crazy talk! :D

8. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Agree, While I have not quit completly I have gone allot of my weeks without it and have had no effects. One key thing is drink allot of water ..it helps.

9. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Methadone clinic. :oops:

Seriously, I'm assuming coffee here, mix in decaf like you put in the OP.

Definitely get Excedrin for the headaches. Though this has caffeine in it so that's kind of defeating the purpose. If you catch the headaches soon enough 600mg of ibuprofen should keep 'em at bay.

Good luck.

10. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I used a 12-pack of beer to get past the possible mild headaches. :)

11. Good, more for the rest of us!

lowsound

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    What is your motive to stop?

-Mike

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Is excedrin extra strength or migraine back on the shelves yet? (I knew there was a voluntary recall, from when I went to get some a bit ago...loves me that caffeinated drug.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    how much is too much? i do a cup a day unless it's a long/busy one.

15. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Central Oregon
    I'd feel a lot less guilty if I was at a single cup a day; after the coffee, there's tea. It's been in the back of my mind, nagging at me, too. Seems like it's time to pull up them boot laces. :scowl:

16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have high uric acid and acid reflux and this will help.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I switch over to Yerba Mate' after noon. ZINGO!:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, heroin is less addictive than caffeine... so is cocaine.

I agree you should just do it cold turkey, weening yourself off just means you're going to wean yourself back onto it.

Just be prepared, as you come off the withdraw, expect headaches, low energy, and irritability.

I wish you the best of luck, I use to use caffeine but I don't anymore. I don't avoid a drink because of it, but I don't use it regularly or as a stimulant.

Far too many people are addicted to caffeine and think there are no dangers because it is legal and we sell it to our kids in mass.

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I came here just t o post that I dislike the word 'wean'.

20. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Push th' little daisies and make 'em come up. :bag: