Wearing a uniform

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by seansbrew, Oct 13, 2005.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I am currently hunting for people to play with and I came accross an add today. I call and talk to one of the band members and we hit it off pretty good. I asked my usual battery of questions and everything is in line with the interveiw. I am given a website where I can view pics and listen to music and I totally dig it. And then I come to this, the band wears matching clothes. You must wear a tie to be in this band ( there is an add for a bass player on the site as well, which gives a list of pre requisites). This totally turned me off and I wonder if I am just being picky? I kind of like the idea of my individuallity when I play. The attire is slacks, tie and buttiom down, nothing fancy. But its kind of goofy, what do you guys think. How many of you here on TB do this kind of thing ( mathching outfits) Here is a pic. Oh and the music is Funky,jazzy,rock.
  2. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    I you really dig playing with them, I say go for it. To me, I see seriousness. Is it their intention to play the corporate/wedding type circuit? Plus, if you want to display your individuality, leave your fly down all night! :bassist:
  3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not matching, but I played in a ska band for a number of years and always wore suit and tie for shows...You really get used to it, and I enjoyed the process of dressing for stage...it amps you up to have to change into 'stage clothes' and I found a different attitude in stage clothes.

It was no different from when I played in an industrial band...just a different style of dress, but puting on my ol' boots, chains, etc. definitely helped put on an appropriate attitude.

I always felt it helped everyone in the band 'be in the moment' and also it helps the audience...where's the excitement of seeing a bunch of shleps on stage in their street clothes. The audiences I played to in both instances 'looked the part' so, why wouldn't I want to?!?

Besides, chicks dig it.
  4. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    This is something I havn't done before, maybe I should go ahead with the audition and take it one step at a time. They definetely want to be taken seriously. I have always made it a point to wear something presentable when I play, maybe this would add a little edge to the pre- gig ritual.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    And make sure your shirt-tail is sticking out! :D

I would be more impressed with the "look" of the band if the woman wasn't the only one that had clothes that actually fit. And, shouldn't she have sunglasses too... :p
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    If the gig is cool, who cares about what you're wearing???

Last time I checked, it was about diggin' the music...

I've never done uniforms, but have dealt with "dress codes", and did the wedding band thing (still have the tux in the closet!).

Honestly, I hated the tux, but that band was probably the best I've ever played with musically!!!

I say go do the audition, and if it "clicks", do the gig!

...oh yeah....they have TREES in Arizona???

7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Do it as long as they don't make you wear the sunglasses.
  8. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    That chick looks pretty hot dressed like that. I'd go for it.
  9. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    What's the band called? I am also in Mesa. I'd like to check out their website.
  10. seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Here is a link to their website, let me know what you guys think.

11. Are you kidding??? Look at the posture on that babe!!! Wear the uniform! Join the band.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've been wearing a uniform to play for almost 20 years - it ain't a big thing. If you like the music, take the gig.
  13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    [highschool girl voice on] This is like soooo -Hives- *sigh* [highschool girl voice off]
  14. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    The guy all the way to the right reminds me of Edward Norton.
  15. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    After the outfits we wore in the 70's and 80's I don't see any uniform.
    Seriously it appears that the outfit is their trademark. As such if you like to play with them you wear it. Just think it could be striped leather pants and lacy shirts.
  16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    or even worse...like Manowar.
  17. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I have a friend who's trying to form a Warhammer 40k themed powermetal band that will dress as Space Marines...

Compared to that the blues brothers costume isn't so bad.
  18. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    At first glance I thought it was Blondie or a Blondie Trib band. :)

The disco/wedding band I was with in the late 70s wore matching 3 piece polyester suits (with vest but no ties), but then again, the gigs were formal attire only.

And when the band leader would walk up and hand us each an envelope at the end of the night, it...sorta made up for it.

Funny thing though, when everyone's dressed the same, people tend to focus on other things: facial expressions, body movements, oh yah - and the music. :)

PS: You could always inject a little individuality by using a Windsor. ;)
  19. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Bootsy had to wear the suit when playing for James Brown.

Lookit him now....he turned out allrite, dinnint he?
  20. My first gigging band wore almost exactly the same outfits
    that these people are wearing. It wasn't bad at all. It helps
    to separate the band from the patrons on a break, and also
    gives the band a sense of unity or cohesiveness on stage.

My current band wears tuxes for everything, and I like the
    aspect of having "performance clothes". I know what I'm
    going to wear to play in and don't have to worry about it.

I was in a band for awhile that had no set "uniform", and I
    always found myself rethinking my attire for gigs. If I was
    given a choice, I'd take a "band uniform" or "band look"
    everytime over just using my streetclothes. It's always possible
    to have a group look without being "exactly" the same.

Anyway, I'd say give it a try. You might find that it "suits" you.