1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wearing another band's shirt while playing with them?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by oniman7, May 23, 2011.

1. My band may have lined up a gig this July with local band Crimson City Romance and touring Australian Band Sunset Riot (anybody heard of either?)

I'm good friends with the vocalist and bassist from Crimson City Romance and have been to a show of theirs, so I have a T Shirt of their band. I thought it would be pretty cool to wear that shirt to sort of pay a tribute to them. Is this cool, or would it go over bad? I know some people have weird etiquette about things like that (I've been yelled at for wearing a Disturbed Shirt to a Three Days Grace concert)

2. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    Eh, I wouldn't do it. I doubt you'll offend anyone per se, but I think most people would see it as more "tacky" (for whatever reason) than anything. People are weird.

3. hoshbrown41

hoshbrown41

Jun 19, 2009
    +1

If I were in the other band, I'd think it was cool as hell. But yeah - some people might think it tacky.

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    I believe it was Waynes World that explained to us how you can't wear a t-shirt of the band you are going to see. Ex. If you went to see Three Days Grace, just don't wear a Three Days Grace t-shirt to the show.

Even though I think the tribute is nice, I'd probably have to follow the Waynes World rules. Then again it's rock n roll break the rules!

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I think it is better than wearing your own bands shirt.

6. fractiouslowend

fractiouslowend

Aug 5, 2009
    perth
    i don't think they say that in wayne's world, not in the movies anyway.
    I think it brings a sense of comraderie and self deprecation to a gig. It makes the gig better if you know that the band members are fans of the other bands playing.
    has anyone worn their own band shirt to a gig?

7. bassplayerken

bassplayerken

Jul 18, 2010
    Jessup, MD
    I try to do this as often as possible. My band is 'decent' but we have been in the local baltimore scene for roughly 5 years, so we usually get headlining shows or play directly before a touring act. With our sound, we tend to play with a wide variety of genres (ambient, hardcore, metal, punk, pop rock). I find it makes good connections with local bands and no one seems to find it tacky either. Granted, their shirt has to look awesome for me to wear it.

8. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    lame

9. krustwell

krustwell

May 18, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    i agree. i think it would be a cool way to show respect to the other band...especially if the shirt is worn in and doesn't look like you just picked it up at the merch table.

so yes: go for it. and good luck at the gig, whatever you may be wearing.

10. How do you add a poll? Getting a split opinion, so I would like to start one. But keep coming with the opinions. Getting some interesting responses.

11. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    I'm with the "yes it's kinda cool" crowd. It shows a nice sense of humour and friendship.

Speaking of Sunset Riot, I live close to them and their guitarist JP frequently comes to my local covers gigs (I used to teach bass to his little brother). A great guy! I strongly recommend having a beer or two with these guys while they're in your country: after all you can listen to their CD any time.

12. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I often wear other local bands shirts while on stage, but not when sharing a stage for the night with them.

13. Unfortunately, I'm 15 and the legal drinking age is 21... I will try and sit down with them at some point just to hang out. Their band sound is very cool; almost like an 80's throwback. I've already sent them a message on Facebook telling them I look forward to it.

14. krustwell

krustwell

May 18, 2007
    Raleigh, NC
    Aaaaaaand I'm old.

15. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    hey oniman7 have you ever heard Lighthouse Music? They are a pretty good group of younger musicians out in St. Augustine.

16. BKBassDude

BKBassDude

Jun 17, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Saw Kylesa open up for Mastodon and 2 of the Kylesa members had Mastodon t-shirts. And these guys were on tour together for a few months.

17. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No idea but that's very MC Escher! Especially if someone in the third band wears a T shirt of your band! :p

18. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    Wear it!

19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    It was PCU. Blow me where the Pampers is!
    Who cares what anybody else but you think. F 'em if people think it's "tacky". Are they the fashion police? They look like judgmental idiots no matter how they dress, right?

20. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    Exactly, I've got the same sorta thing going with the NoVA hardcore scene, and everyone wears everyone elses' shirts onstage anyone. (if any of that made sense)