1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Wearing Blazer On-stage - Material?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bicycle147, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Bicycle147

Bicycle147

Dec 20, 2017
    Our band likes to wear blazers and sport coats on stage as our look. I figure a lot of you probably do this as well, I have wool blazer that fits me nice but when it seems a little too thick to have a bass draped over my shoulder.

I just ordered a linen blazer off ebay because i happened to come across one that is perfectly in my measurements, and I know linen is thinner so I figured it may be a good gigging jacket.

Any thoughts on this? Have you found any style or material of sports jacket/blazer to be best for mobility & having a bass over your shoulders?

Thanks

2. First, good on you and your mates for stepping into the classy semi-formal aesthetic of blazers and sport coats. I wear them a lot, and my male band mates often show up with some combination of tie, vest, or suit jacket.

Yes, the wools will make you sweat if yours is a high-energy stage show like mine. If you can find a lighter knit that still looks good on you, it can only help.

Rock on.

Bicycle147 likes this.
  3. Bicycle147

Bicycle147

Dec 20, 2017
    Thanks, we love wearing that stuff, plus it distinguishes us from every other band in jeans and a band shirt. What material/thickness is the jacket you find yourself grabbing most often for show?

We're a hard rock band with a vocalist who puts on a great show, my only concern about the linen is that the weight from the bass will make it wrinkle quickly because of the nature of linen.

4. Yeah, that might happen with your linen. But it might happen with a variety of materials. I usually don't worry about it too much, it's part of the show and all my jackets end up at the cleaners after one or two shows.

I'm actually stuck on a couple of sharkskin jackets that flip-flop in the light, think A Bronx Tale. They are wool, I sweat a lot, sometimes they get wrinkled, but that's show business.

Make yourself comfortable, find that balance between function and fashion, and let the dry cleaner do the rest. ;)

Bicycle147 likes this.
  5. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I like a linen or linen/cotton shirt and a silk jacket. A properly made silk jacket is not overly delicate.

Bicycle147 likes this.
  6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I have a linen blazer that I found at a thrift store years ago. It seemed like it had been worn once or twice. It is nice because the fabric is heavily starched, so it’s light and cool, but the material has enough structure that it isn’t a wrinkled mess. I have worn it to several gigs.

Bicycle147 likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Just start hitting Goodwill and similar thrift stores. Cotton, linen and whatever you find. If you find a jacket for $5-10, who cares if it has to get pressed or dry cleaned every once in a while?

electracoyote and Bicycle147 like this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yeah hit the 2nd hand shops. We had an emergency the other night and needed a white mock neck t-shirt for one of my kids to wear under a cheerleading uniform. None of the local stores had one so we found one at a Goodwill. I was BLOWN AWAY by the nice clothes in there for pennies on the dollar. I bought three nice shirts for work for about 5 bucks. Those shirts would have cost me well over a hundred for all three new. I am not a blazer guy but there was a 40 foot rack full of them. All colors sizes and materials

Bicycle147 likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021