1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wearing gloves?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by TwinBass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Lately, I'm seeing more and more players (on YouTube mostly) wearing gloves while they play.

What are the advantages to that? Are there some gloves that are better than others (wool, neoprene, cotton, other)? Is it just a fad, or is it some long lost secret trick that is just now getting attention via the interwebs?

Does anyone here wear gloves while playing? If so, why?

2. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    Which glove is da best for metalllllllllllll :ninja:

ok ok ok seriously : The only person I saw doing that is because of allergy ...

Ballin'bass likes this.
  3. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Scott Devine wears gloves to help with a neurological condition. Ettiene Mbappe wears gloves because of his sweating. I've worn gloves on some very cold winter gigs at ski lodges.

Jim Lu likes this.
  4. TwinBass

TwinBass

Oct 5, 2007
    Spokane, WA
    Interesting.

I guessed gloves might serve as a tool to mute strings like the hair scrunchie trick, or foam under the strings. I never would have guessed neurological conditions or sweating would be a factor. I would have tried gloves myself, but since I started playing bass some twenty-odd years ago, I've yet to find a pair that fit well enough to even try playing with.

Thanks for the info.

5. I know Scott Devine wears them because of a skin condition he has... not because of a "neurological" condition (can't see how a brain dysfunction would cause skin damage when touching things). There are probably other people in the same boat, but mostly I think it's a fad caused by a gradual increase in people's wimpyness.

I hear more and more people say they don't want to learn guitar cause they're "scared of getting callouses", but that's really pathetic. Callouses are a sign of hard work, and I barely have them anymore anyway. I think over time you adjust tiny things in your technique subconsciously that results in less finger friction. It'd make sense, cause smooth fingertips and low friction would give you more agile fretting fingers, and faster plucking fingers.

Wearing specially-design gloves may yield a similar result, but depending on something like that to play is, again, pathetic. Grow a pair and toughen your fingers up.

6. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Wrong. Two seconds of Googling and you would know he wears them because of a condition called focal dystonia - "a neurological condition that affects a muscle or group of muscles in a part of the body and causes involuntary muscular contractions or twisting due to misfiring neurons in the brain". The gloves 'trick' his sensory system and diminish the effects.

:rollno:

7. Ah ok, that's interesting. Thanks for correcting me.

8. famousbirds

famousbirds

Aug 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    No problem. It seems like the top comment on all of his videos is, "what's with the gloves?"

9. I saw a kid once playing with gloves because he said his hands got chewed up easily. I wanted to slap him.

BeardedFrog likes this.
  10. Turxile

Turxile

May 1, 2011
    I wear gloves, when I am sweating. Don't wear if I'm not. It's not normal sweating by the way, it's a condition called hyperhidrosis. Almost always wear them while playing live.
    No advantages, no significant disadvantages, but i have to say i prefer to play without them.
    You loose some highs, but very little and easily solved by turning up the tone or the treble on the amp a touch. There is some muting but very little.

I use Nike Running gloves the skin tight variety. They last about 25-30 hours of playing, which is fine as I don't always wear them.
    I know some wear silk gloves, but I never tried them.

Jim Lu likes this.
  11. KodyAudette

KodyAudette

Apr 30, 2012
    Albuquerque
    I tried playing with gloves for a while just to try it out. I used some very thin woven liners designed to go underneath latex gloves. I didn't much care for it on most of my basses, but I'll tell you, I actually really liked it on my fretless with flats. It was very smooth and fluid. It did seem to mute a little bit, but that's the kind of tone I was going for anyway. It was kind of cool, I'd recommend trying it out, though even after trying it I never stuck with it.

12. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    One type of glove that has a great benefit for players are fingerless compression gloves that leave the fingers free to play.

There are many brands and styles so search them out in you own region or country. Many may be under the guise of anti- rheumatic, arthritis, circulation, etc, but the benefit is the type of compression the give.
    It is added support that is giving the benefit as a rule, any other claims about them are usually marketing ploys, the hard benefit is the amount of compression they give to muscles, joints and ligaments.

Anyone experiencing problems with their hands should try out some different ones as an option to see if it helps improves their situation.
    For any gloove (I use standard fingerless support type) it should run from four inches above the wrist (over a third of the forearm) to the base of the fingers covering the first set of large knuckles on the back of the hands.

Gloves that run up the fingers are better, but when I uses them I had to cut the little finger one back for my plucking hand.
    Simple reason was that it did not help my hand when trying to gauge muting.

The support does not need to be tight, any added support is better than none, and if not the hand at least try it on the wrists.
    I still carry a pair in my gig back and use them on certain gigs where my hand use is high or long, it is pro active rather than reactive as far as injury or problems are concerned.
    Once you have and a few practices and done a few gigs using them, you certainly notice the difference.

Would the hands learn to be rely on this added support and become weaker because of it?
    Not that I have ever read about, or experienced from my own use, the fact we tend to over use our hands in a modern world, the use of the glove is no more detrimental than putting your feet up to having a rest. You only really wear it for a couple of hours a day, so about 8.5% of your day is support by its use....shoes are doing the same sort of job for much longer periods.

There are some great products out there one of the longest ones I have been aware of are Handeze gloves, give them a search, also consider, Soft-sooth therapeutic gloves, or IMAK anti-arthritis gloves. There are many others am sure, these are just the ones that I find offer good quality in their construction and design.

13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Leave it to Beaver............

Attached Files:

14. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Just remember; never eat ice cream while wearing wool mittens.

15. bggeezer

bggeezer Guest

May 25, 2001
    uk
    Unless there's a medical reason... it's just an affectation

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Gloves schmoves...real bass players use a catcher's mitt!!

christian noir likes this.
  17. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    My BL bought me some Mickey Gloves from Disneyland to help my playing.

They still haven't found his body. :)

18. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA

Attached Files:

19. I wear fingerless gloves for the compression they give to my thumbs at the wrist and a thumb brace on my fretting hand (left). I had two failed surgeries on that thumb/wrist and the gloves sort of hold my hand bones where they should be. I have to wear them snug, so I replace them every once in a while.

The hand-eze gloves are good, I sometimes wear them under the leather gloves if my hands are in a lot of pain. For a smoother feel, wear them inside out.

:)

20. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson Supporting Member