1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wearing jersey's to games?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tony G, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    When is it time to stop wearing your favorite team's jersey to their game? I love baseball, and I regularly attend my favorite team's games. I've been wearing a jersey to those games for as long as I can remember. I prefer the look of my favorite team's road jersey, and I have one with a blank back, no name and number. But I'm thinking, I'm 28...am I starting to get too old to wear this jersey to the game? I got my 10 month old son a matching jersey, and somebody commented to me that eventually he wasn't going to like the fact that we would wear matching outfits to games. Kid's wearing jerseys is perfectly acceptable I think, but when is it time that I stop wearing one as well? I don't honestly really want to stop, but if it is making me look like a fool/loser/wannabe/etc., somebody please just tell me! :D

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The loser making the comment was jealous that your son owned his son!!!!

Wear the jersey!!!!

3. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    You're never to old to wear jerseys to games! That's what the sell them for!

Support the team!

4. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    There's a man law about this.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    So the fact that at a baseball game that my son and I are wearing the same jersey and hat is a problem? Even though there are about 20000 other people dressed the same way? I'm not saying we dress like this on any random day, but when I attend my favorite team's game I wear their jersey, and my son does as well.

6. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I do see your point. I think there needs to be an addendum to the man laws for instances like this. Go ahead and submit it in the man law thread for posterity. I'd second it.

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Wear the jersey.

I wear my #11 Kevin Dineen Hartford Whalers home jersey to every hockey game I go to, as well as some other events. I always get positive comments.

8. Jerose

Jerose

Nov 28, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Mmm Kevin Dineen! Now rockin' the head coaching spot of the Portland Pirates. Farmin' them rooks!

9. crayzee

crayzee

Feb 12, 2009
    Mississauga, ON
    Agreed as well. It's ok for a father and son to wear matching jerseys.

I still wear my Leafs jersey when I'm lucky enough to snag a ticket once every couple of years.

10. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    If you're supporting the team, you wear the colors. If you're wearing a jersey from a different team to any game where said jersey isn't playing, your a poseur.

I'm pushing 50, I own 15 or so jerseys, but only 1 goes to the game. DC United.

11. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I wouldn't be caught dead at a Brewer's game without my Gorman Thomas throwback jersey (#28). Stormin' Gorman is a must....

It sometimes follows me to the stage....
    OKTOBERFEST2007SATURDAY1048.

12. TallLankyBastyd

TallLankyBastyd

Jan 31, 2007
    Seattle
    This will need to be worded VERY specifically to avoid future slippery slope prat-falls such as...

...Can a father and daughter share the same sort of experience by wearing matching Hot Pink jerseys while supporting mom's "Pinky Tuskedaroes" womens softball team?!?

We may need Burt Reynolds hisself to help us with this one.

:scowl:

13. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    So some dude made a comment about how your child might find the idea of wearing matching jerseys to a sporting event to be a fashion faux-pas?

This is what happens when tickets start getting more expensive, people. You get dinks like these who get the tickets through their boss, because "they need something to do that night."

Rock your jerseys with pride, dude.

14. As the boy gets older either father or son should get a alternate jersey. Home vs road. Maybe the 3rd jersey. Perhaps the BP jersey. That will take care of the "dressing like twins issue.

As you were.....

15. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yeah, I was thinking at the very least that this is what it would come down to.

16. It's all good in my book. My dad(along with my uncle and aunt) used to wear his Devils jersey and I'd wear mine when we went to hockey games. I say wear matching jerseys until he's thinks it's stupid to wear a matching jersey and order yourself a customized one with your name, lucky number, captain's patch, whatever you can on to it.

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I was with you on this until your suggestion of what to change to. I can't say I'm a fan of a jersey with anytning but an actual player's number and/or name (past or present), or simply blank. The custom stuff doesn't do it for me. It comes off a little weird to me, but that is just my opinion.

18. MakiSupaStar

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Done. Check the thread.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499874

19. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Mad props to the vintage Kevin Dineen Whale jersey. I'll give huge respect to longtime fans.

My daughter has a white Red Wings jersey with Brett Hull #17 on it. I have a white Konstantinov 16 and a red Fedorov 91 that I routinely wear. She wants the black practice jersey with Zetterberg on it just so its a different color while my Zetterberg jersey is going to be the Winter Classic design. Supporting the team is what they're for.

But defintely blank or actual team member past or present. Putting your own name on is, imho, rather pretentious and lame. One exception I thought was kind of cool - in the mid 90's my cousin knew a guy who had a Wings jersey that said Russian 5 on the back, and he had Konstantinov, Larionov, Fetisov, Kozlov, and Fedorov all autograph it (the actual "Russian 5" from the Wings roster in the mid/late 90's)

20. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I'm digging that Brewers throwback! I'd like to get an early 60's sleeveless Roberto Clemente, myself.