Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wearing the shirt of a band who's playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass element, Jul 17, 2005.

1. whats the deal with this? is it wrong to wear the shirt of a band who is playing at a concert? how come? i'm a lil lost.

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm not sure what you're saying, but i'll try to interpret it the best I can.

When I play, I normally wear a band t-shirt. I don't know why, I guess I owe some respect to the bands who have influenced me (not that i'm good or anything :meh: ) and to give people an idea of who influenced myself. I would never wear my own band's t-shirt at a gig. I find that really lame. Even though Metallica did/does it, I still think it's pretty lame.

FUNNY STORY: My band's first gig, we all (except for our freaky goth singer and drummer) showed up with Metallica t-shirts. It wasn't planned or anything, and they were all different Metallica T-shirts. I guess that would explain our band. :oops:

3. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I usually don't but only because most of the bands that I go to see, I meet after the show and talk to them a little about different stuff. I've bought shirts at their shows, and carried them around, but I feel like if I'm wearing their shirt and then talking to them and stuff it's a little "idol-ish". Also, I never want to be "that guy" lol.

4. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I think he means (for example): If I'm going to a Rush concert, would it make me a poser/loser/wierdo if I wore a Rush t-shirt?

IMO, no, there's nothing bad about wearing a shirt promoting the band you're seeing. In a perfect world, no one would care what the guy next to them in the pit was wearing, but that's not the case. I guess people don't dig repetition like that because they feel that you're.....I dunno. I think most people feel that you're limiting yourself by such "monotony", but who cares? I've gone to hardcore shows wearing emo shirts and I got looks, but I guess if you're into the music it shouldn't matter.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I wear stuff that will make the other kids laugh at me.

Blink182 to Social Distortion shows... cause the "punk rockers" will give me dirty looks.

and Tool shirts to like... Sum41 and stuff. same reasons.

6. I do, however, think it's pretty lame to wear your own bands' shirt while you're playing.

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These pictures are from a concert with my rock band last year in which we played Rush's The Analog Kid, Bastille Day, La Villa Strangiato and 2112 Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx. I love to wear black T-shirts with my favorite rock artists on them. Unfortunately they're not so common here. When I go to stores looking for them, they show me lots of T-shirts of bands like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Slipknot, System Of A Down and stuff that I'm not really into. Why is so hard (I'd say almost impossible) to get Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin T-shirts, for instance? That really pisses me off.

8. I had an embarrassing situation on Saturday nights gig. I was in a hurry and threw on the closest clothes I could find.

When I got all set up, I took my jacket off to find that I was wearing my Musicman t-shirt - and would be playing my Musicman bass - what a TOOL!!!

9. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    I'm a band/skateboard t-shirt junkie! I usually have some kind of hardcore band shirt on. Like right now I'm wearing a SIEGE shirt which was a legendary hardcore band from the 80's that influenced a TON of other bands to this day. :bassist:

10. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Where I live, it's just the opposite. Well, not totally. We have our share of Limp Biscuit (Bizkit :confused: ) and Korn, but the cool thing anymore is the Led Zeppelin and Floyd stuff. Most of the people wearing them couldn't give a rat's ass about the band, but it's just what's "in".

On the other hand, I've been searching for a Rush shirt for ages. I found one, but it was too small and a funny brown color. :meh:

11. I always go with the rule of wearing the shirt to the gig of the band that came before hand.

eg.
    Watching Foo Fighters - Wear Nirvana
    Watching Zwan/Billy Corgan - Wear Smashing Pumpkins
    Watching Audioslave - Wear Soundgarden/RATM.

or you could go with what came first.
    Watching Blink 182 - Wear Sex Pistols
    Watching The Darkness - Wear Queen

Doesnt have to be an exact match, but theres a rough guide. But through on whatever you want... My mate threw on a Prince shirt at a Sevendust (hard rock) concert, and he stood out compared to the waves of Tool, Manson and Slipknots shirts around.

12. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Legendary... hardcore... band? ;)

13. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    wear the band's shirt the day of, that way people who see you in it and are going will go "hey! are you seeing them tonight?" and you could hook up and get connections. But change into something original. You're going out for the night, make a statement.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I wear a Britney Spears shirt to any gig except a Britney gig, in which case I wear a Christina Aguilera shirt.

15. I hear that those Britney t-shirts look great with your hotpants Mark......

:eek:

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    A famous quote from "PCU"... I don't buy it, though. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Besides, when people wear my band's shirts to our shows, it makes me feel like a rock star. Then I realize we're playing in, like, an abandoned youth center and I die a little inside.

17. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    :D
    "Gutter, hate to break it to you but there was music made before 1989."

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

19. D -to the - ITTO

beyond infinity.

20. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    um, slayer wants their fans to wear their shrits at thier shows.