Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wearing wrist bands while playing??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Whatcha guys think about wearing a sweat band for my fretting hand while I play?

I have a bad case of tendonitus, and no matter after how many minutes i warm up for (usually 30-60mins!) i still get some pains.

Whatcha think of using the sweat bands as a bit of support?

2. Off topic, but wrist-band related....

Does anybody else hate playing with those plastic wrist-bands that some places make you wear to identify yourself as a performer?
    I still don't know which wrist I should put them on, if I put them on my fretting wrist then they dig into my skin which I'm playing, if I wear them on my plucking wrist then they slide down over the wrist itself and really limit the flexibility of that wrist!:mad:
    It really annoys me!!

Does anybody have any tips for these?

--On Topic--

Would a sweatband really be tight or strong enough to make much of a difference?

3. I wear sweatbands on both wrists , Cuz I'm stupid enough to think I'll look cool . :rolleyes:

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

ME TOO!!!

bp13

5. Well I'd wear a proper wrist support - one of those elastic thingys - that'd look far cooler than a wrist band anyway - though I can appreciate these do have their uses.

I've worn a wrist support before to play in - I'd like to say it was from too much bass playing but actually it was stripping paint that did it for me!

It's a worry though - look after your hands and wrists!

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Get a Harley USA bandanna and wrap that around your wrist. Supports your wrist, wipes away sweat, but most importantly, makes you look tough!!!!!

Yep I hate those plastic wrist bands as well. I usually cut it off and put it in my pocket. Have it ready if anyone askes for it. Oh and don't ask permission, they'll always say no. Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission .

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wear wristbands to keep from sweating on my basses. They do offer support, but it is pretty minimal.

8. I'm not sure a sweatband-style wrist band would really help you. I use one on my plucking hand to keep my wrist from sticking to the finish of my basses.

9. Ive only seen 14 year old Guitar players wear those sweatbands (no offense guys). I think they are kinda pointless and just a fasion statement more than an aid to your playing. Just get a damn towel to wipe your head off after a show!

10. I tried wearing wrist bands, but the huge spikes from my heavy metal-slayer-type arm bands kept ripping holes in them.

<-- ps you'll notice in my avatar the plastic "i'm over 21 wristband" fashion statement

11. well FYI im not trying to be fning cool. just wait and see if you end up like this, and need some advice for what maybe a stupid question!

thanks guys for the real answers:D :bassist:

12. I can't believe it! Since reading this thread, I've now developed wrist problems! I don't think it's tendonitis though - I reckon I've got a ganglion, (although it seems a bit large and flat) on the inside of my wrist and it's causing me a lot of pain in my fretting hand - though its not too bad when I actually play.

I suspect this time it is too much bass playing. I've got a practice tonight and gig tomorrow. I already had two practices this week. It's a worry! I've not picked up my bass since the last practice 2 days ago and been wearing an elastic support which at least makes it less painful. Got another gig next friday too....

Has anyone else had a ganglion on the inside of their wrist?

13. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I did, a bunch of years ago, for quite a few years. It didn't ever hurt though (I was playing violin at the time). It went away on its own, I guess.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What I dow with those little plastic wrist bands is just loop them around one of the belt loops on my jeans.

If they dont let me, I just take it off once Im outta view from anyone who cares, and I shove it into a pocket.

Peace
    Nick

15. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Sorry bout digging up an old thread. I was just wondering if there's any new information on wrist wraps? I'm looking for something to support my wrists as they are very painful. My life has been playing sax, bass and working on my computer so I fear for the tendons in my wrist (and yes they hurt while I'm playing). Wristbands alleviate a little of the pain but I need something tighter to make it feel better.

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a velcro wrap around ace bandage type thing that i use on my wrist when i injure it. It simply wraps around once and velcos to itself. Made out of ace bandage material, except its stiffer.

17. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i wear wristbands when i play for two reasons

1) to prevent sweat on my fingers and such

2) when i pick, so i can just rest my hand on the bass and play fast without tearing up my arm

18. I think sweatbands/wristbands are best for people who use a pick, and don't want to get there fingers uber sweaty, causing dropping many picks.

But if you want to save your strings a little by not sweating on them, go ahead.

19. my dog chewed up my wristband...

It said 1 Up:(