1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"wearing" your EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by fretless johnny, Mar 30, 2007.

1. fretless johnny

fretless johnny

Jul 22, 2006
    I'm getting ready to buy my first EUB, a ND WAV. I've been playing fretless EBG and DB for a long while. I'm hoping to find something that will be right in the middle in terms of feel and tone. One thing I love about EBG is being able to walk around and move while I'm playing.

Do any of you wear your EUB with a strap? Is it close to a traditional DB position?

Comments? Suggestions?

2. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    Keep in mind the NS Wav is 52" long and weighs 10.5 lbs.
    Much longer than the 34" scale NS Bass Cello.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    IMO the strap is nowhere close to a traditional DB stance. It's kind of an hybrid DB/EB position. Unless you angle the fingerboard towards you on an NS bass, you will have a cramped left arm and even then it's still kinda crampy. Crampy meaning you don't have room, not muscle cramps.

I've had to resort to playing the bass with it resting on my right hip and it goes across my body at an angle. A CR4 or WAV4 will be close to your body. For it to be like a traditional setup, the headstock would need to tilt more towards you and the bridge tilts away. With the NS Strap it naturally wants to sit on you like an EB would. You can setup the EUB to rest like an EB which is an interesting sensation. I'm getting to used to it, the weight is more of a factor for me and I have it setup where it's comfortable enough.

I like it especially now that I can practice anytime of day and not bother neighbors or anyone in the house.

4. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    FWIW: I had an idea this morning and it seems to help out. I put a big towel between me and the waist rest and it helps put the bass in a more traditional position, especially if I angle the fingerboard more toward myself. The waist rest is attached to a plate with some screws. If possible, I'll see how I can make an extension so that it pushes the bridge further away from you. The only drawback is that it adds more pressure on your shoulder strap so I think I will need to add a 2nd strap to distribute the weight better.

5. I would think that strapping on an EUB would defeat the purpose of playing one. :meh:

If you want to move around stage, taking for granted that you'd have a wireless, you might be able to maneuver a caster wheel of some sort on the end of the peg.

6. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    I already look like enough of a doofus bobbing and weaving with the EUB on a stand... Cant imagine what I'd look like bouncing around with a 42" scale bass strapped to my chest.

I'd have to use a pogostick as a stand for the fullest effect.

7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You could install an Ace Frehley-style pyrotechnic sparkler jet in the base of the EUB, so it looks like a rocket taking off!

8. hdiddy

Mar 16, 2004
    Richmond, CA
    Actually I think you look less dorky, as you have this weird looking-extra long bass slung across your body. EUB on stands always look anemic from any angle while having it on a strap kinda looks cool. You look more like a rocker.
    :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

[​IMG]

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I just got off a tour with my BassCello... it really is starting to feel natural now with the strap system. If you leave the tensioners in the hub a bit loose, you can make the necessary adjustments, especially if you're bowing at all.

I have to say this bass has pleasantly surprised me in many ways. I expected it to be a stopgap instrument to get me through tough travel situations, but it's a really viable instrument on its own. It fits easily into the overhead of most planes... though I had to turn on the charm with the lovely JAL agents in Nagoya :smug: . It sounds good anywhere, even if the house amp sucks, because of all the onboard control. Beautiful neck and fingerboard. Very rich and organic sound. I'm quite happy with it.

11. catty

catty

Mar 25, 2006
    Montana
    The gentleman in the photo appears to be halfway to playing behind the neck, ala electric guitar.

12. MacDaddyBass

MacDaddyBass

Apr 22, 2007
    Provo, UT
    Colin Botts, the old bassplayer for Ryan Shupe, used to stick a tennis ball on his endpin and it worked great. Try that out.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021