Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weary of buying used hartke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I've heard a lot of you people saying hatke is getting really sketchy. I have the opportunity to buy a hartke VX 410 and VX 115 for 650 dollars canadian. It's around a year old or less. Should I, or shouldn't I, it's a personal sale, but three provinces over so I cant actually test them, I MAY be able to get a friend to test them for me though.

2. bermpity bump.

3. Are you saying you are "weary" of buying used Harke because you've bought so much in the past and you are tired of it OR that you are "wary" of buying used Hartke?

What does "getting really sketchy" mean?

Sorry, I'm English. :D :D :D

4. Oops I guess I did mean wary. I'm just trying to find out if it's worth buying because I've heard their quality control has gone to crap. I seen online that it's the same price as the transporter series and everyone on here says to stay as far away from that as possible, so I'm taking it that it's not that great of a buy.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I have a used Hartke 5000 from 1993 that has been great to me but I should take it in for a check up sometime soon since I have had it for 2 years now. The amp I have had has only been checked up on twice. Once for a new preamp and once before selling it to me. Pretty rugged little amp I have.

If you can try it out first go for it. My guitar center stopped carrying it because of their quality control sucking. They had to repair about everything they sold soon after it was bought...

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I used Hartke cabs back in the "good old days" i.e. the mid 90s. These were some of the best sounding cabinets I've ever heard and I wish I'd have held on to them.

However the company has, since about 2000 or so, let thier quality and consistency slip. You may still get some great sounding cabs from Hartke, but you may also get trash. The only way to know is to play them.

For this reason I would not recomend buying them if you can't test them yourself. Buying any music equipment sound unheard is a big risk, because so much is subjective. However buying used gear from a company whose new gear amounts to a roll of the dice is flirting with more disaster than I'd ever be comfortable with.

The exception to this is the transporter line. Don't ever touch these cabs for any reason. I wouldn't go back to using transporters if Hartke paid me to. The reason they sound like garbage stems from their design. They were intended to be lighter weight, portable cabs for budget conscious working bassists. To reduce the weight Hartke used thiner wood in the casings and smaller magnets in all the cones. The result is a hollow sounding cab that doesn't manage to project at all. I had a 410TP and a 115TP powered by a 500 watt TE head and I got over powered by a single guitar playing through a 50 watt crate practice amp with the dial on 1. They simply had no body or depth.

When I replaced them with a 4.5XL and a 115XL I was in a whole different world.

In short: used Hartke = your money, your risk. Transporter = bad, bad idea no mater what.

7. dood

dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    +1 Tash,

Todd, I would stay away from the VX and transporter ranges. unless you intend to serenade you pets, of an evening.

I have two 4.5xl cabs.. different 'ball park altogether... IMO I'd do my best to get new cabs. I feel 'wary' of the way a previous user may have been using them.. and more put off the lower the quality of cab to start with.

... but don't let this deter you completely!

;o)

8. Just got a HA3500(new closeout) and a 215XL Hartke cab off of ebay and I could care less about people slamm'n their stuff. Hartke ROCKS as long as it's the XL series! Don't waist you're time with anything else.........You get what you pay for!.......It's that sound man............................

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I don't think there is any brand that you can buy used, having never tried it yourself, and be 100% confident of the purchase. You take a risk buying anything untried. Ampeg, Mesa, Eden. It has nothing to do with hartke. That said, I have bought an ampeg cab and 2 rumblefish basses off ebay and have been satisfied. Point is, to be 100% sure, you need to try before you buy.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I don't know about the Transporter cabs, but I have a 5000 head with a 115xl and 210xl and the rig is just great - as Highpines says, it's "that" sound that you don't get from any other make. Reliability seems good so far after owning it from new 12 months. Don't know about s/h gear though, as cabs can get abused pretty badly and I wouldn't want to take the chance. Guess I agree with the "try before you buy" crew...

11. poundround

poundround

Mar 8, 2005
    Lynchburg VA
    :bassist: I agree with most that the XL series is the only series. And to answer your question, I would only buy older Hartkes because the new ones are made in CHINA!!!! Plus my old Hartke cabs sound great and never give me trouble.