Weather killing my bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SOA_bassist, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    I bought a cheapy ibanez bass from a friend of mine, its the sr 300 dx series ( costs $280 new, $240 off of ebay, i got it for $200 ).

It sounded great when i bought it ( i bought it during the summer ). It was punchy, had low action with no buzz or deadspots, the neck was fairly straight, it was more than decent.

then the weather changed

now it is getting colder and the weather flucuates a lot during the day and through out the week.

every since the major weather fluctuations the neck has been getting less straight ( ive tried fixxing it myself but the neck just curves back when i straighten it ) and it buzzes everywhere the 15th and 16th frets on the A string are almost completely dead...

and the worst part is i only get 12 hours a week at work ( it was supposed to be raised by now but since its getting darker sooner the boss cut the late shift from 4 - 8 to 4 - 7 ) so it will take me atleast 2 weeks to get it adjusted professionally, maybe 4 if the shop up here feels like screwing me over and charging over $110...

is my bass doomed?

also, when i bought the bass there wasnt any crackling but now whenever i turn the treble/bass boost knobs it crackles like crazy...

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I don't think it's doomed. Sounds like you need a pro to set it up though. The crackling sound is probably dirty pots. They can be cleaned with a little shot of contatct cleaner. The weird weather changes this time of year affects most basses. Some of mine more than others. After a lot of experience setting them up you finally get it right.

3. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    i really needed to hear that im not the only one and that it isnt doomed... but I am soooo angry right now... my new job takes away almost all of my bass playing time ( i went from 1 to 3 hours a day on average to 1 to 2 hours a week ) and it killed my shoulder, and now when i want to quit my job i find out i need to get work done...

how much does contact cleaner usually cost?

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Pretty cheap, unless you're really poor. $5 or so.

5. dion mauer

dion mauer

Sep 21, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    To help prevent serious problems in the future, keep your bass in a hardshell case whenever you are not actually playing it. I also recommend keeping the bass (and case) in a climate controlled room as much as possible.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021