1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weather related string problem?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by play4zero, Sep 14, 2008.

1. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    I was playing my Warrior 5 string today and at both an indoor concert and an outdoor festival my A string around Bb - C and my D string from the nut up to around G had problems with sustain when I'd punch it. The strings sounded more like I was playing through them rather than a clear tone, and often the note would die so clearly that it sounded like a short in the cord. No problems farther up the neck.

It has Barts and a Bart pre with DR Hi - Beams. I've never had this problem before, although long ago I had a tendency to play through lighter tension streets, but that's long gone.

Ahh, I mention weather, because it was rather cold and damp today.

2. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Never mind, I'm thinking it was just a change in the neck due to the weather that lowered the strings to where the neck needs more relief.

3. sasquatchofohio

sasquatchofohio

Apr 12, 2008
    well i have noticed that humidity has a large effect on my standing bass's strings, i think the dryer the weather the sharper your notes become. and flatter when its more humid

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yep, weather affecting the neck would have been my thought.

5. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Strange that it would happen on a 5 string, but it was set up to perfection, so any even subtle change was bound to have an affect on it.