Weather Report - 8:30

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kevjmyers, Dec 21, 2004.

1. Kevjmyers

Dec 10, 2004
    Boulder. CO
    Just picked up this album last week and have been inspired anew by the late great Jaco Pastorius. This concert was in 1979 yet the wizadry behind this album made it sound like a studio. "OTJ" (One Take Jaco) never ceases to amaze me.

Is Teen Town remarkable or what!? I'm too young to have seen this era of music live. Heavy Weather is flat out awesome! Is this the only commercially available live Jaco? I know about the 30th birthday concert. Is there any live Joni Mitchell with Jaco?

After hearing this cat live (on tape at least) I'm convinced noone was anywhere near him. Jaw-dropping licks with impeccable timing and precision. Peter Erskine was amazing as well.

Stanley Clarke's "School Days" didn't do it for me except for maybe "Life Is Just A Game" which hooked me. I succumbed to buying it after like 20 people said it was the best bass album of the 70's. IMO...wrong. So far the best fusion I've heard comes from either Weather Report or John McClaughlin. Although Stanley's lines with Return to Forever captivated me more than maybe his debut solo effort.
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    There's a Joni DVD with Jaco, Pat Metheny, Don Alias and one of the Breckers. I forget the name of it - check Amazon - it's a great dvd. But - you don't get many close ups of jaco except for his solo piece where he does looping - another first for Jaco.

Considering Metheny and Jaco were roughly the same age - and looking at how absolutely amazing Metheny has continued to be throughout the years - one can only wonder what might have been had Jaco been able to hold it together.

Regarding Stanley Clarke. I agree - his RTF stuff was much better than his solo stuff. Although a lot of the slap guys think differently.
  3. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There are many LIVE Jaco albums/projects...Buyer Beware, though.

IMO, in addition to Weather Report's 8:30, you need to hear/buy-
    1)Weathger Report-Live & some ways, even 'better than 8:30.
    Live & Unreleased gets my vote as the best recording of "Teen Town".
    2)Jaco's 30th Birthday Concert
    3)Jaco's Twins (or Invitation)
    4)Joni Mitchell's Shadows & Light (either the double-cd set &/or the DVD)

...there's also a couple LIVE cuts on Jaco's last couple Weather Report albums(Night Passages & Weather Report)

Couple weeks ago, I stumbled into & noticed they were about to stock a LIVE Jaco & Herbie Hancock CD + some more LIVE Jaco Big Band + a DVD of LIVE Jaco-era Weather Report. Needless to say, I ordered them all...I can't comment on their quality, though, as I have yet to see/hear them.

I would not go for the Live In NYC cds with Jaco...not until the above have been digested fully.
    Curtain Call & various Bireli Legrene cds are/were also available.
    The Havana Jam cds with Weather Report & The Trio Of Doom(Jaco/Tony Williams/John McLaughlin) are just "OK".
    ...I haven't played my LIVE Playboy Concert with Weather Report in over 20 years; can't commit on it(IIRC, it wasn't that great).
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Jimk -
    I'd be interested in the dates of those dvd's you purchased.

I've got the Shadows & Light dvd
    and a few live ones:
    Jaco (Big Band) Montreal '82 dvd
    Weather Report '76 dvd
    Weather Report 9-29-78 Germany dvd

The one from '76 is awesome - great percussion, but the 78 show from Germany is off the charts: Teen Town, River People, loops, back flips - you name it, and it's over 2 hours! I'd be willing to trade dvd's if anyone is interested...

Mele Kalikimaka
  5. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Oh, I've got that Herbie, Bennie Maupin cd w/ Jaco too. Don't worry - the recording is Very good. It's got the funkiest Chameleon known to man. Jaco slays on a Maupin solo tune on their too - can't remember the name though...
  6. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    the maupin tune is "it remains to be seen" i think. i also dont remember seeing it on that cd thats at audiphile imports. imo, the maupin tune is the best thing on there. the headhunters tunes just dont sound "right" to me without paul jackson.
  7. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Mike-
    I now recall seeing a VHS tape of Jaco LIVE in Montreal. The band, however, was relatively small(IIRC)...maybe a 5-tet or 6-tet(Jaco, Othello, Mintzer, Randy Brecker, & Erskine, & maybe Alias?).
    What I remember most about the show was Jaco wearing 'warpaint'. When I saw that, I thought, "Uh, oh".
  8. Last week (I think) the first official Weather Report DVD was released. Stuttgart 76, I think. Not sure though.
    Check it out at
    I have just ordered it - heard it was a must have.
  9. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    its not official, its a bootleg. and its from the show rockpalast 1978
  10. Well, I was wrong in all possible ways, then:D
    I'm looking forward to have it anyway, though....
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Jimk - Yeah, that's the one. My bad, I guess it was the "small band" not the big one. He looks a little freaky in the warpaint - my least favorite of the vids for sure, although that Chicken was rocking.

thanks for the info Narud.

Anybody else have some live Jaco footage?
  12. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california