Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weather Report: Barbary Coast

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Sippy, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Ok I decided to learn some Jaco, and I love this song so I decided to start with this one. Luckily and ironically the September issue of Bass Player has the tabs in it. Well it just doesn't sound right. I don't know why it just seems wrong. Anybody else have this mag and try it out?

2. I can't find any, but this is opening line exactly as it appears in the Jaco instructional DVD. It's just the very first thing he plays, but it's all I can find.

G----------------------------------------------
    D------11(10)11(10)---------------------------
    A-7/8----------------7-------------------------
    E--------------------0-------------------------

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That doesn't seem right.

G---------6------6-----------|------------
    D------------9------9--------|-------------
    A-(slide)7----------------7---|-------------
    E------------------------0---|------------

You should be able to figure out the rest of that. The song itself is just a jam in C#.

4. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Whafordamus.. that is how the mag has it.. but it just doesn't seem right to me... hmm.. oh well :) thanks guys.

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Oh, heh. I don't read any bass magazines or anything.

6. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    There's a good reason for this. They've got it in the wrong key. Barbary coast is in Db major and the beginning of the bassline starts on an E sliding up to an F( the third of the chord) on beat one. It's the slightly atonal E's that make this one so cool IMO. I know you could hear it as a Db7#9 line but since Zawinul isn't playing any chords yet this is uo to the listener.

Well anyways, attached in the text file is the first bar of the bass line. You should be able to cop it from there. Let me know if it still doesn't sound right. It's kinda sloppy since I made it in under a minute :)

7. That's exactly how Jaco himself played it in the instructional video, and how it was transcribed in the booklet that came with it. I think that's about as right as it gets.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was going by the original recording. Honestly, the instructional video isn't the most reliable source for Jaco stuff ;).

9. There is a complete transcription in standard notation on one of the Jaco sites and yes it is Db7#9 tonality thing with some blues lines thrown in as well.

10. pauljacksonfan

pauljacksonfan

Jun 14, 2005
    Hehe, I just noticed I forgot to attach my one bar tab to my post yesterday so here it is now.

Attached Files:

11. LeeNunn

LeeNunn Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Here's a version in standard notation.

Attached Files: