Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weather Report - Live and Unreleased

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Dec 6, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i hadn't heard any live weather report before previewing this cd at barnes and noble.

two cd's of live weather report. 3 of the baddest bassists ever to have lived - Alphonso, Jaco, and Victor. i almost creamed myself listening in the store.

get it!!!

oh i also got Coltrane - Giant Steps today. i've been buying too much hip-hop lately, i need to beef up my jazz collection. i didn't realize that i didn't have this cd till a few days ago, so of course i had to get it :)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I love Giant Steps.

I love Alphonso Johnson's playing with Weather Report (and anyone else for that matter)...even more than Jaco's :eek:. I gotta get that Weather Report.

brad cook

3. I just heard "Cucumber" something-or-another, from 1975, on the Ithaca College radio station's jazz show today. Man, Alphonso ripped it up.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That would be Cucumber Slumber. Tres funky.

On that record I actually dig the Alphonso stuff, on the whole, more than the Jaco or Victor Bailey stuff. Check out Freezing Fire.

Wayne tears it up on a number of tracks too.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Cucumber Slumber; great classic Alphonso bassline, and he reused it briefly on "Open Your Eyes, You Can Fly", by Flora Purim. Alphonso was the man as far as Weather Report's concerned, IMHO...at least after Miroslav Vitous left. "Mysterious Traveller" just spun me around when it came out, and "Tale Spinnin' " has some great stuff on it too.
    I saw Weather Report during Alphonso's stint; he had a funny little physical tic that he repeated the whole evening; he kept dabbing his right hand fingertips into his mouth every so often, apparently for lubrication. Whatever he was doing, it worked.

6. It's a good recommend for bassists...

HEAVY WEATHER is a must-have....

7. Just bought this last week. Did not research into the cast before buying it, since it made it into the "Essential Recordings" in jacopastorius.com.

Was at first dissapointed because only 1/3 of the songs features Jaco.

But after reading some of the comments here in TB. Figured out its good to hear out the Alponso and Victor too! :hyper:

8. Jaco's solo is killer on that album, i don't really dig the version of port of entry on this album compared to the 1 on Night Passage.

9. Holy SH**! This is a simply killer album, I have it already (I got sent a freebie when it first came out) - the tune IO have one right now 'Where The Moon Goes' - the 2nd on CD two is just brilliant - Vic Bailey sounding great on the old distortion bass and a well cool melody from Zawinul - not to mention Omar Hakime going mental on drums - brilliant!

10. RyanHelms

RyanHelms

Sep 20, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Welcome to the fold.

edit: incidentaly, Joe Zawinal is currently out and about again with the Zawinal Syndicate, with Linley Marthe on bass. Also ckeck out the un-official Weather Report site, with a side bar link to Weather Report.

Good stuff!

11. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    He rules in that version.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    As much as I love Jaco, the Alphonso Johnson period is my favorite one too! In later years Zawinal was burying everything with his synths IMHO. I just wish Sony would release the Montreux Summit album from the 70's, Alphonso did a solo on Blues March that just smoked!!! :bassist:

13. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked that up from Audiophile Imports a few years back. There's also a long version of Johnson's "Bahama Mama".
    In the liners, AJ looks like he's about 15 years old & 110lbs!

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Love this album, I got it a couple years ago. And have recently been rediscovering it. It's an amazing album, a couple cuts are a little weird, but the vast majority are simply brilliant.

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i agree about alphonso. all the tracks on the live cd's with alphonso are from the same show so i wish theyd just release that concert. there's probably no market for it though as most of the bass geeks want jaco stuff.

16. Blazer

Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I dig the 8;30 live album. "Teen town" sounds so unbelievably funky whith Jaco and Joe playing the licks simultainusly and then going in full gallop.

But the most surprising version of "Teen town" I know is the version of Brian Bromberg which he plays in a slow groove and on his double bass. For those of you who never heard that version check it out you won't regret it.

17. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I think it's a must have too. I play it every week at least once (in my cd player...not myself) and really dig Cucumber Slumber, River People, Black Market. Not to mention In a Silent way/ Waterfull. Just wonderfull.

I don't really dig Victor's work anyway. He's just not such a talent in comparison with Jaco or Alphonso. The groove on Cucumber is so....FAT...!!!!