Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weather Report re-issues out this week.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DaveBeny, Jun 6, 2002.

1. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Out this week from Columbia Legacy, there's a Weather Report "best of"...

[​IMG]

... as well as reissues of 'Mysterious Traveller', 'Tale Spinnin' and 'Black Market'

I didn't have any of these albums, though I consider myself to be a Weather Report fan. I bought 'Black Market' this afternoon and am listening to it right now - great stuff. I'd heard 'Black Market', 'Cannonball' and 'Barbary Coast' before, but the whole album is top-quality throughout.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    All three of those discs are great! Mysterious Traveller is in my top 20 albums of all time! Alphonso Johnson plays some great stuff on all three of those albums!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...does it get any funkier than "Barbary Coast"?

Tale Spinnin'...isn't that the one with Ndugu Chancler on cans? If so, that's a happenin' record.
    At this time, Chancler was gigging regularly with Santana(he turned down Joe Z's offer to join Weather Report)...Leon was so bad that Santana canned one percussionist(he usually carried TWO) on account Leon sounded like BOTH a drummer + a percussionist.

Mysterious Traveller was the very first WR album I bought(back in the mid-'70s)...a little esoteric when compared to the Jaco era stuff. ;)

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Tail Spinnin' has some great grooves on it! It was out of print for a long time....and I was stoked when it finally came out on C.D.! But this remaster thing drives me crazy.......you buy the C.D. and then a year later....it's remastered/ new liner notes
    bla bla bla....I know it's just a marketing thing to make you buy the same thing over & over:(

5. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    black market is still my favorite weather report album. those cuts with alphonso on there are the tops of w.r. imo.

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Are they re-mastered? If so, I may be re-purchasing all these CDs...

7. Err, I dont know much about this band, but what are some reccomended tracks, seeing as Jaco played with these people, I guess listening to some of the tracks might be educational, so any ideas?

sim

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Saying Weather Report MIGHT be educational is like saying grass MIGHT be green! The whole band is comprised of top notch players at the height of their craft. You'll get "schooled" by Zawinuls' freaky melodies, Shorters' honky textures, and Jacos' monster groove... I suggest "Heavy Weather", particularly a song entitled "Havona". Warning: Be prepared to throw your bass in the garbage and take up knitting.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    You must definitely get 'Heavy Weather'. That album changed my life about four and-a-half years ago. I'd been listening to Jamiroquai, Motown, James Brown, and thought that was about as good as bass-playing got. 'Heavy Weather' blew all my ideas about the function about the bass apart.

10. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I don't wish to be burned as a heretic, but 'Barbary Coast' just doesn't do anything for me. 'Gibraltar' and 'Elegant People'(especially) are much funkier, and stronger all-round tunes in my opinion. Sorry!

11. Kid Charlemagne

Kid Charlemagne

May 29, 2002
    Europe
    Alphonso Johnson is truly one of the great jazz/funk bassists! Unluckilly for him, his successor was the most innovative bassplayer ever, so Johnson seldom gets due credit for his work.

The Johnson cuts on "Black Market" are great, especially "Elegant People", but his most outstanding bassline IMHO is "Cucumber Slumber" from "Mysterious Traveller". Every bass player owes it to himself to check that one out.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Blasphemy!
    ...that muted 1/16th note groove just percolates(IMO).
    Must be that big ol' Ocean that separates us, Dave.

;)

I did order a Weather Report disc last night...it's the LIVE one from Japan with Vitous on bass.
    Never had this, didn't even know it was available.

"Cucumber Slumber" is a lesson in '70s Funk-R&B.

13. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    What, the 'Live in Tokyo' album? That's been out on CD over here for years!

[​IMG]

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, I know(guess I forgot)!

...I'm an idiot!

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i thought i was the only one that felt that way!

16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nope, you're not alone. I'm not that keen on Barbary Coast, but Elegant People is one of my favorite tunes.

17. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    "Cucumber Slumber" is a lot like something Flea/Les would play...only 15 years in advance of their careers! I have to put in my 2 cents...My favorite funky Weather Report bassline is "Black Market" off of 8:30. I find myself looping that part, and playing Josefs' melody over top whenever I have downtime in my bands set. It proves you don't need a lot of notes to be funky, its where you place them and where you rest.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm in the record store this a.m....I take a look at these Weather Report re-mastered disc.
    So, I'm looking at Tale Spinnin' & the little sticker that's on the cover mentions JACO being on this disc!
    BOGUS!

Back to "Barbary Coast"-
    Granted, "Elegant People" is a stronger composition(IMO, too).
    When I first heard "Barbary Coast" way back...I was, like, that's the s*** I'm trying to coax outta this P-bass. ;)
    I mean, IMO, that line can stand on its own...it's complete AND Funky. ;)

19. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey, I saw that too today! How lame! I love that record--give Alphonso his props.

20. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I wish Sony would release the Montreux Summit albums from 1977...Alphonso kicked ass on them!
    He did a solo on Blues March that was a mindblower! .....and while I'm dreaming, maybe Alphonso's solo albums! I really kills me that major record labels rather sit on something, than release it or give it back to the artist and let them do what they want with it!...../end rant:D