Weather report's Birdland

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, May 19, 2001.

1. Does anyone know how to play the harmonics in the beginning?
  2. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    lightly rest your thumb on the string, and inbetween your thumb and bridge of bass, use your index finger to pluck. it kinda makes a twisting motion, and it may take a bit to get. you also have to focus on the location of this pluck. the further away from the neck you go, the higher in pitch it will get. On my Fender Jazz, the lower pitched harmonics are slightly past my neck pup, and the higher pitched are on top on my bridge. go up and down the picking area to find them. a really cool technique imo.
  3. i mean the actual music/tab
    i donth think the one at the basstabarchive has the harmonics.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, there is a "scientific" approach to this - what you are doing is subdividing the string length between where you are fretting or holding down the note and the bridge. So, subdividing half way will give you an octave up and then subdividing that half again into two will give you a further octave up - etc.
  5. Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Why not try learning it without tab/score...put it onto a cassette and play the section over and over then pick up your bass and try to find the notes on the fretboard, try to play it straight ie no harmonics and then work it from there.
  6. i have it figured out like that, the harmonic tones aren't always the same (or don't sound the same).
    I just tried to get the tab because i'm quite busy during the week (school) and i don't have enough time to figure this one out. I've an ok ear, so i'll try again.
  7. You could always check out the Jaco instructional video. If I'm not mistaken, he demonstrates it there.