Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weather Report's Teen Town

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by lopsy_lu, Apr 13, 2005.

1. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    Well, I think I'm right in posting this in "Recordings".

I'm currently working on learning Teen Town thanks to a friend lending me the "Jaco Pastorius" album and thus making me a big fan. :bassist:

Anyways, what I'm wondering is, I've really never heard anything like that bass solo before, very unique, so does anyone know if the bass in Teen Town is made up of specific scales/arpeggios/modes ?

Thanks

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Simply tune to the recording and try and catch it. There's probably TAB somewhere, so try a search on TB to see more threads about this fine tune.

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Forget tab, here's the transcription: http://www.lucaspickford.com/transteen.htm

Are you talking about the "verses" of the song (I guess you'd call them that)? It's in C, but there's a key modulation when it goes into that eighth note E, G#, B part where it changes into E major.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Lopsy Lu-
    Try picking up the "Teen Town" from Weather Report's Live & Unreleased...a 2-cd set of perviouly unreleased material.
    Probably the best version of "Teen Town" I've heard.

5. I was always partial to the version on 8:30 myself. In addition to Jaco kicking it up to notches unknown just when you thought he'd taken it as high as it could go, Wayne Shorter's sax solo is just plain unreal.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I love the sax solo, but the bass tone on that version sucks really bad.