Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Weathered/Beaten (doom bass) finish

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Feb 8, 2006.

1. How do I get a worn out finish like this on a bass? I have a navy blue p bass with white pickguard, and it needs to look old school

I know loads of people will say "uhh just wear it out naturally" but I want this bass to look good now.

I was thinking about painting it again - any website about this too?

Thanks

2. So you want to ruin a bass

to make it look "good"

You'll get no help from me sir, no way no how

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Perhaps you could sand-blast it?

I'm not sure I totally understand what look you're going for, though. Got any photos as examples of the intended effect?

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Look, enough of this crap, okay? Nothing personal, Panda, it's just that I see this response come up over and over and effing over in 'relicing' threads, and I'm tired of it. If somebody wants to give their bass the relic treatment, that's their business- it's their bass. Help or don't, but give this stuff a rest.

5. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    take it apart... put all the parts in an oversized laundry dryer for about 70 mins... take it out and put it back together. That should pretty much do it I think.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're going to have the body done, have it done professionally. Its easy to make it look like your bass had a bad night with some power tools if it's not done well. Also keep in mind that you'll have to do some work on the hardware too...

7. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    yeah... that's probably a better idea.

8. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Do some Google searching on the Fender Custom Shop and relicing and I think you can find descriptive info on some of the tricks they use there (I seem to remember something about spraying on some sort of gas -- liquid nitrogen? dry ice? -- that freezes and cracks the finish, and maybe dropping coins on the finish while it's frozen to create nicks and dings.) A search on Vince Cunetto (who did the Custom Shop's relicing in his own shop from 1995 to 1999) might also turn up some interesting tips. But read it all carefully -- there may be huge differences in what you can do with the nitrocellulose finish of a Custom Shop bass versus a poly finish on a normal MIA (or MIJ or MIM).

In general, though, I agree with the earlier poster who suggested having it done professionally. Some of the worst bass disasters I've seen were the results of home relicing projects gone awry.

9. Uh its a $120 P-Bass copy.

10. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    this guy does some of the most remarkable recreations of old instruments. He Doesn't share too much technique but it might give you some cool ideas. The ageing work on hardware alone is an artform.

Started me thinking of a sea foam green "surf" bass but according to his site he's not taking any more orders.

http://www.songsofjonathanwilson.com/GreenwichVillage.htm

11. Lord, do not put your bass in a dryer - the bass may look cool but I am real sure the dryer won't.

If you want a safely trashed look rather than a reliced look I suggest the good ole belt sander. Borrow / rent one and have at the body and even the neck (careful on the neck). I did a crappy old Aria Pro bass that way a bunch of years ago and it looked really cool. Took a bunch of the paint off and then re-laquered in a clear coat. Turned out good!

Good luck!

12. AFlyOnGeddysWal

AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    Orygun
    There's an interesting thread on the Dudepit forum, under the Fender section.

13. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    i can comprehend this line of logic..... it's kind of like asking people where to get a really good henna tatoo....
    buy a worn out instrument that's done the time or "earn" it through playing it. i hate new-old jeans, and furniture that has been antiqued.
    but it's free world, do as you wish... personally i'd just put cool stickers on it.
    how about a nice big "we are all palestinians" sticker?

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Considering you don't have a lot invested in the bass, I would actually recommend fire. Use a blowtorch to strategically burn away finish (it will blister and bubble in spots, and that can be very cool/doom-y). It will also darken the metal parts in a very cool way. But, make sure not to damage your pickups/pots/wires- remove the electronics before commencing with the torch-ure.

15. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    a pair of pliers, a couple of pipe-hitting drummers and get medieval on it. . .

16. brothernewt

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    ok... they dryer comment was a joke... I had no sleep and was reaaly funny to me at the time.

real advise... I watched a show on disocover channel or similar where they were "aging" furniture for movie props. No powertools were used. Mostly mismatched metal nuts and washers strung together on a wire, dragged and bounced (not pounded, think of a sponge painting technique) over the corners/edges where play ware and 30 years of minor dings would occur. Also steel wool where "rub" type damage would occur (think where your thumb would rest and rub if you played that bass for 30 years).

Scratch the metal parts with steel wool in the same fashion, and in the show they used waterpaint onto the scratched metal for the aged effect... that probably wouldn't work on an instrument though, so no help there. I guess you could find a solvent or other chemical that would petina the metal nicely, I'd check for something like that at a hardware type store.

and really... didn't think for a second what that would do to your dryer! Glad someone's keeping an eye on me! :eek:

17. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    The Marcellus Wallace treatment. Works every time.

;)

:D

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was on the fence about relic instruments until I actually got to play a few. I decided that I love 'em.

19. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    Sandpaper and lighter/flamable liquid. works (almost) every time. :D