Weatherproof electric bass

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Dec 1, 2015.

Tags:
  1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    From the article:

"It is weatherproof," said Dr. Ken Dye, Director of Notre Dame Bands. "Perry Hermann [designer & luthier] has assured us that all of the electronics are well-covered and weatherproof."

According to Germann, the pick-ups and electronics are completely sealed.

"I don’t know about a hurricane but snow, wind, and rain. They should be able to make it happen," Germann added.

Weatherproof electric bass boosts Notre Dame Marching Band

2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I like the neon green strings, but I have to wonder what happens to the output jack when it rains. Plus, what do you plug it into? I guess there's going to be a cart with a couple 'fridges on it, kinda like a big bass drum, only bass guitar amp for when they march.

3. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I wondered a similar thing... Sure, the bass is weatherproof but what about the amp? And who's gonna carry the thing? :p

4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Maybe hit glue around the input jack? Something less permanent? I just hope that big bedazzled ND comes off without vigorous strumming, or is a loaner. No offence to the school or player, but no way would I deface a bass with anything school related. I can't be alone can I?

5. I'm pretty sure the bass belongs to the school as they called the bassist "the first," so knowing that, the ND doesn't bug me.

96tbird likes this.
  6. I'd love a waterproof bass, so I can boil the strings, without having to remove them first.

7. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Waterproof bass guitar makes sense only with buit-in wireless. Receiver could be located at the mixer (under the roof).

ShredderMaximus and 96tbird like this.
  8. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Yeah, wireless seemed pretty obvious to me. Cart with a fridge being pushed behind? Uh, no... But maybe stationary on a cart at the edge of the field.

9. Maybe they'll plug it in with the same thing Flea did during the Super Bowel performance awhile back, then claim it was Bluetooth later.

Pffffft

10. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Cool story, but since bassists aren't noticed anyway, i question the validity of this statement:

"Ever since the bass debuted early in the season, Dye said it's creating campus lore.

"It adds a rich, musical sound and a visual image that really fits with our band," he said."

GregC likes this.
  11. "They can call me at the drop of a hatch."

What does that even mean? Either the builder or the writer is half a nincompoop.

96tbird and GregC like this.
  12. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Hah! I can see it now. A pair of 'fridges on a cart, marching with the tuba section. The bass guitarist strutting with the drum major. Imagine the sound of three or four cart mounted bass stacks being spun on a cart like they do bass drums, all the while the bass player herself struts and swaggers in the spotlight. I'm liking this a lot! It would have to be wireless, otherwise the bass guitar would end up strapped to the cart with the bass player tied up like a cartoon character stuck to a tree with a mile of rope. That might be fun to watch once, but the bass player might object.

superheavyfunk likes this.
  13. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    or they have a really bad editor that cannot spell 'hat'. shameful, i say.

14. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Built in wireless would be the obvious (at least to me) solution to outside/portability.

15. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

I, like you, love it when colloquialisms are duffed.

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Didn't Jason Newsted use to waterproof his Sadowskis to keep the sweat out?

17. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    All I know is that the anchorman in that news story is one the skeeviest looking kooks to ever grace a TV news crew.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021