Web hosting recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by suicas, Aug 12, 2004.

1. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Currently looking for a web hosting provider to host several websites, just wondering if anyone here's got any recommendations/comments on who to use.

There are *far* too many out there, and I'd rather hear first hand about people's experiences rather than relying on the hosting service's website.

Features I'm looking for:
    Shell access
    Reasonably low cost.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hasweb has all that, 12.99 for starters.

I use them, very quick tech support, great uptime. I think they are a reseller, but then again, who isn't?
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I host about 8 domains with www.phpwebhosting.com

They have gone downhill some, but I've not found anything better for my $9.95 monthly. What keeps me there is the 225mb to start, more free for the asking and the unmeter transfer... great for a band or musician looking to host MP3s

[edit] ignore my link... Bliss' host looks great! I've got a domain without host I'm gonna test out there I think!! [/edit]
  4. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Had a look at those..neither seem quite right for me sadly.

Hasweb requires you to pay extra for a static IP address and shell access, and limits the number of domains you can host there (unless your pay for a more expensive package).

Chances are I might need quite a bit up storage/bandwidth eventually, so phpwebhosting probably aren't for me either.

Thanks for the links though!

5. I use GeoCities, but you get ads and it's limited as to what you can create. It's fine for what I use, but everyone has different needs. What kind of site are you wanting to create?

Having said that about GeoCities, I dunno anything about the upgrade where you have to pay for it - I use the free version, like the stingy person I am. :D
  6. suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    Can't stand geocities I'm afraid, want somewhere with no adverts, and where I get total control over the site I'm hosting, don't trust leaving that to others!

Looking for some space to host my band's website, an event promotions site, and a couple of other sites for people I know. Plus enough space for anything else I might need in the near future..

7. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
  8. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

MyNetLink is where I work and I can hook you up. PM me.
  9. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I would HIGHLY recommend FutureQuest. I have several sites hosted there including my e-commerce site. The performance and uptime is exceptional and the support can't be beat. Also, I can't imagine a host with a more skilled technical staff. A truly professional outfit...