1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Web hosting recommendations

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by suicas, Aug 12, 2004.

1. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Currently looking for a web hosting provider to host several websites, just wondering if anyone here's got any recommendations/comments on who to use.

There are *far* too many out there, and I'd rather hear first hand about people's experiences rather than relying on the hosting service's website.

Features I'm looking for:
    PHP
    Perl
    MySQL
    Shell access
    Reasonably low cost.

Thanks!

--
    Dave

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Hasweb has all that, 12.99 for starters.

www.hasweb.com

I use them, very quick tech support, great uptime. I think they are a reseller, but then again, who isn't?

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I host about 8 domains with www.phpwebhosting.com

They have gone downhill some, but I've not found anything better for my $9.95 monthly. What keeps me there is the 225mb to start, more free for the asking and the unmeter transfer... great for a band or musician looking to host MP3s

[edit] ignore my link... Bliss' host looks great! I've got a domain without host I'm gonna test out there I think!! [/edit]

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Had a look at those..neither seem quite right for me sadly.

Hasweb requires you to pay extra for a static IP address and shell access, and limits the number of domains you can host there (unless your pay for a more expensive package).

Chances are I might need quite a bit up storage/bandwidth eventually, so phpwebhosting probably aren't for me either.

Thanks for the links though!

--
    Dave

5. I use GeoCities, but you get ads and it's limited as to what you can create. It's fine for what I use, but everyone has different needs. What kind of site are you wanting to create?

Having said that about GeoCities, I dunno anything about the upgrade where you have to pay for it - I use the free version, like the stingy person I am. :D

6. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    Can't stand geocities I'm afraid, want somewhere with no adverts, and where I get total control over the site I'm hosting, don't trust leaving that to others!

Looking for some space to host my band's website, an event promotions site, and a couple of other sites for people I know. Plus enough space for anything else I might need in the near future..

--
    Dave

7. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
  8. freakbass

freakbass "Pile-drivingly Heavy" since 1983

MyNetLink is where I work and I can hook you up. PM me.

9. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I would HIGHLY recommend FutureQuest. I have several sites hosted there including my e-commerce site. The performance and uptime is exceptional and the support can't be beat. Also, I can't imagine a host with a more skilled technical staff. A truly professional outfit...

Tom