Web page wizards.... HELP ME, please

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cb56, Mar 29, 2003.

1. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I'm doing a no frills basic web page (the only kind I know how to make) for a friend that has a small business. So far so good but, I am putting some photos on his page, I want to put small thumbnail photos that are links to the larger version of the photo. Again so far so good. EXCEPT, the thumbnails load in real slow. The thumbmail pix are 72 dpi jpeg no larger that 35k (many smaller). When I saved the jpegs, in options I used the lowest quality (0) so they would load in faster. At first I made the thumbnail itself the link. Then when they loaded in real slow I put a number under each thumbnail and made THAT the link. It seemed to help but they are still fairly slow. What am I doing wrong? suggestions. :confused:

here's the link

2. Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    I'm not an expert but here's my thoughts - I have broadband so it loaded very quickly for me. If you need them to load faster I would say that you could make them a lot smaller by reducing the number of colors used in the thumnails. Try cutting them down to 16 colors. I think 35K is pretty large for a thumbnail considering that our avatars are less than 4k.
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    One way to do it would be to make a different pic, a smaller version, not just a compression of the full size pic. So you have a thumbnail size and full size of each pic, not just a full size and a compressed full size.
  4. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    right. I have done that.

I'll try reducing the # of colors to 16.
    Thanks guys keep em coming.
  5. ttyR2

Feb 23, 2003
    Athena, OR
    Just as an example, have a look at one of my pages: http://www.wheatfarm.com/photo_archive/wheel_steam/index.html

I kept the color depth high, set the image size to 72dpi, and used compression as a JPEG (set to "6" in photoshop, not sure what that equates to in other programs.) Thumbnails end up right around 10k in size. If you cut the color back to 16 colors (did you mean 16 million colors) most images will look horrible.
  6. pics which should be about 2 to 3 kilobytes are coming in at 35+ kb. That is the whole problem.

Optimise your graphics. Photoshop will let you do this.

I use a program called smartsaver. You can probably find a shareware trial version for download somewhere. I tried optimising one of your 37 kb graphics, and it went down to 2.8 kb with no change in quality. Your graphics are 15 times bigger than they should be!