Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Web Publishing-What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Nov 9, 2005.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hello all, I've got a question regarding web publishing. I'm in the elementary stages of publishing a website, and I'm using FrontPage. I've done this before in college, but the steps were a lot different as I was using a secure file transfer program.

Now, I'm just using FrontPage. I'm trying to test things out, but as I update and publish a page created in FrontPage, I receive a 404/Page Not Found error. I understand there may be a lag between updates, but should I expect an error like this?

A friend of mine is hosting my webspace on his server...I'm not using webspace from whom I registered the domain.

Are there any other important steps I should be looking for, other than creating a web folder, the files in FrontPage, and publishing it? Keep in mind, I have reset the nameservers, and have the username and password with the host.

Am I missing something, or should I expect a lag longer than 24 hours to update?

Thanks for all replies.

2. Try using an ftp client and uploading your saved html/media files.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Front Page extensions?

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Any recommendations? I googled it and came up with gobs of free ftp clients.

Edit: My main question is, what would cause the error page to show up? Would using an FTP client help?

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Most of the time when that happens there is some little something that I'm not getting quite right in the web page file name or the path or something.

brad cook

6. Any of them should get the job done, but I personally use filezilla in Windows, gftp in Linux. This probably isn't answering your question as it's not fixing your frontpage issue, but one easy way to get your site on the web is to just manually upload the html and other files to your server. It's a little cruder, but this is how I would do it.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I will probably try this. I won't have too many files and certainly no extremely large files to worry about.