Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Web Sites

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Apr 25, 2005.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  2. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Looks great to me. How's your wrist doing?

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The wrist is fine, thank you. It's only finicky enough to remind me when I 'misbehave' -- playing one of those gut-strings-a-foot-high basses or something.

I'm from your neighborhood (kinda -- Toledo) -- do we know each other from there? Did you do the web site listed in your Bio? That's a great looking site, and very fast-loading for a Flash site.

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Ray, that interface has come a long way! I like it in every way.

If I can throw in a nitpick or two that you are certainly welcome to discard ;) :

On the About page, the body text area scroller works with dragging, but not by mousewheel. i just thought that was odd.

More pics of Isabella!

Also, want to add her to the talkbasses.com site?

Good job man.
    John

Also, props to Amtrok on the barbarapayton site. The load time is pretty impressive, especially considering the whole site including the image gallery is loaded up front. Is the gallery loading into its own mc after the root timeline loads, or are the images on the main timeline? Nice work man.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Thank you much! I'm starting to get a hold of the high-tech look a little bit more. It seems to be a difficult balance to get a nice looking and busy enough interface that isn't cluttered or suffocating.

That area is in the cell of a table, which is contained in and positioned by a DIV. The only scroller that should be there is the browser scroller.

I have noticed that the mouse-wheel doesn't always work on DIVs that put up a scroller in Firefox, but always seem to work in Exploder. Not sure why that is :(

Gotta get some picture taken. That's the only shot that I have and it's a low quality one at that. When I do get pix one of these days I'll certainly get them to you.

6. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Wish I could claim it as mine, but it's not. Since I got laid off four years ago, none of my work is online anymore. Going to start working on my own site soon.

7. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I got on another computer and found that scrolling thing and made it go away. I'm going to go investigate the scroll-bar-in-a-div / mouse-wheel issue right now and see what I can learn.

8. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Looks great. I like the detailed "about" section. It's cool to hear where people "come from" musically.

I just attempted my first site - still in the works and still at crappy geocities, for now - but functional. Comments and suggestions appreciated - be brutal! I know it need a lot of work, but at least it's something...

http://www.geocities.com/xaradelberg/

9. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hey Xar,

First things first: escape geocities! :)

There are tons of $5/month hosts out there, I use www.surpasshosting.com. They hit my bank account via paypal monthly, so it's a no-brainer.

Here's a suggestion for keeping it free: check with your internet service provider, most of them give you 5 or 10 mb of disc space for free as part of your connection contract. And they usually have a click-n-build type gizmo for building the site. Usually no ads, and you escape the other GC trappings.
    G/L!
    John

Ray I forgot to mention that I was using Firefox, doh! This browser certainly has its bugs.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The site is really a good start. The overall feel is that stark ECM-ish Euro feel, which is effective.

The few things that I'd want to change are:

Make the middle column of the table the same width as your picture. There are too many lines leading the eyes astray and this subtracts from the feel of the site rather than adding to it. Also consider centering 'www.XarAdelberg.com'

There is a space between the first two rows of the table. It seems accidental rather than intentional.

All your links aren't all working, and it would be nice if the links were more obviously a menu.

If your pages aren't all cookie-cutter (like mine tend to be), flip back and forth between sub pages and the main page and make sure that the transition has the effect that you really want.

The white background (page color) is a bit loud when contrasted with the darkness of the 'action' part of the page. You might just make it black as the page color really isn't additive to the site.

11. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    Ah, you guys rule. :) This is mostly stuff I too have thought of and haven't fixed yet!! The width of the pic not matching the header totally bugs me as well!! Thing is, I really need a new pic altogether though. That one is realistic, but not very professional.

And as soon as I decide what I want on those links (that aren't active yet), AND as soon as I have a site that doesn't look like junk, I'll definitely get my own domain name. I don't think it's worth it yet though since I am such a raw n00b. :rolleyes:

More comments, anyone? Keep them coming. Thanks Ray and John. :)

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It all looks good to me, aside from the opening paragraph. The jump from 3rd person to first is a bit disconcerting :)