Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Webcomics. What are some that you like to read and why?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dincrest, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Ahhh, yes, the comic. Long have we enjoyed the wonderful humor of such comics as Calvin and Hobbes along with the episodic adventures of Prince Valiant and the soap-opera esque Mary Worth in our newspapers.

With the advent of the intarwebnet, there are a whole slew of webcomics out there, finding their way to the hearts and souls of readers everywhere not through newspapers, but through websites.

So I present this topic. What are some of the webcomics you enjoy reading and why? This may be a great opportunity to share what webcomics you enjoy and maybe turn on a new reader to something they may otherwise be unable to find.

Some of my favorite webcomics:

1) PhD (Piled Higher and Deeper) by Jorge Cham. www.phdcomics.com. I absolutely love this comic because I relate to it so much, being a PhD grad student. The characters are all archetypes I have seen in grad school. It offers a humorous look at the un-life of graduate school. I love it, but some of my friends find it depressing because it is too true.

2) Least I Could Do by Ryan Sohmer and Chad W.M. Porter. www.leasticoulddo.com. Ever since Chad W.M. Porter was brought on as illustrator, the comic is great. I love his art style. He draws women very well. The comic isn't exactly high brow humor. It's pretty much about a surprisingly lovable womanizer's pursuit of life, liberty, and wanton sex. I generally find it very funny and amusing, with a great cast. What makes protagonist Rayne Summers cool to me is his confidence, particularly in his love of non-studly/"geeky" stuff like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings (he is often in costume.) Oftentimes I just want to be entertained without having to think too much, and LICD does that for me.

3) Flip Side by Brion Foulke. www.flipsidecomics.com. I found this one somewhat by accident the other day and have since read all of Book 0 and what's been written of Book 1. I love the art style and the characters are terrific. Maytag is one of the most charismatic protagonists I've encountered in a good while. She's pragmatically wise, yet with a youthful exuberance that often leads to trouble. She always seems in complete control of any situation she encounters and I am amazed that she finds it in her heart to love everyone- even the most detestable people. She's pretty deep, and it's her interactions and interpersonal relationships with people that keep me wanting to read more. Granted, her liberal attitudes towards sex catch people off guard (characters and perhaps readers alike) but it is very refreshing to see such a well-balanced and almost self-actualized heroine own her sexuality the way she does. I'm normally not big on fantasy, but this is really good. It's fantasy with a modern attitude.

EDIT: Occasionally, I check out Sexy Losers (http://www.sexylosers.com). Some of the stuff there is just off the freakin' chain (like the arc about Kenta and his mom.) Risque to the max. Taboolicious.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  3. darkfish01

darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    I've been a fan of reallifecomics.com for about a year now. I'm not sure why, it just entertains me.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The Whiteboard (Doc rules)
    8-Bit Theater
    Achewood
    Something Positive
    Butternutsquash (Ramon Perez's web comic)
    Ctrl+Alt+Del
    Clown Samurai (a noir comic. You have no idea how badass)
    Goats
    Carbonado (RIP)
    VG Cats
    Nothing Nice 2 Say
    Coffee Achievers
    Elsie Hooper
    Dominion (color rocks, art's pretty good, writing sucks pretty hard)
    Edge The Demon Hunter (probably best web-comic art I've seen)

I used to read about 30ish on a daily basis, now I read about a dozen, and about 50-80 once every six months or so.

I don't think I've ever been so blown away as I was reading Clown Samurai. I've also been putting off doing my own webcomic; I can art pretty well, and can write better than your average bear, I'm just tragically lazy.

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i've been reading that one consistently ever since a blurb appeared in an electronic gaming monthly two and a half-ish years ago. only occasionally is it really funny, though. :meh:

penny-arcade, though... that one is a consistent side-splitter. :hyper:

6. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Penny Arcade
    GU comics
    The order of the stick (www.giantitp.com)
    Loserz

As for newspaper comics, there are a few I read online
    Get Fuzzy
    Pearls before Swine
    Foxtrot

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  8. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Something Positive
    Perry Bible Fellowship
    Sluggy Freelance

No links since two of them are probably not PG-friendly and the third is pretty easy to find. It's also not quite as good as it used to be since it got somewhat serious.

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  10. my fvorites are:

penny arcade
    dilbert
    alien loves predator

11. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  12. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
  13. www.goats.com

Absolutely hilarious. That and my band has a song based on Neil and Bob's Big Adventure(the market research segment of the strip...and our singer/guitarist just got a new job in market research...the song is called Dinner Must Be Stopped, cuz we like to be goofy sometimes, and its up on the site, although the quality really sucks and theres no bass).

14. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
  15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I was recently turned onto this website called stripcreator.com which allows you to create a patchwork/cut & paste webcomic. Now, given that I have ZERO artistic ability in terms of drawing (my artistic side is better expressed in voice impersonation, music, and writing) I decided to try my had at comic-ing here. A funny, yet profound, idea for a piece of dialogue came to me and I decided to try my hand with it in comic form. So here it is, entitled "D&R Guy Talk." D stands for Dean and R stands for Ross; my characters.

D&R Guy Talk.

Now you can try making comics with stripcreator and see what you come up with. It will be fun! I know that options for creative expression are EXTREMELY limited with stripcreator, but for those of us with zero ability to draw, this is the next best thing. Though some leeway with the dialogue would be nice.