Webdesign and HTML,check out my site?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    We're allowed to post these right, since its not like promo-ing a bad kind of site?

Its my band site, im making it. Let me know how you like the design,

Tber Phe gets credit for the logo ;)
  2. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Again - don't mean to be rude, just constructive...

Not sure what you're using to write the site, but it's out of date = <center> tags are going to become obsolete. You should use <td align="center"> or <p align="center"> or <div align="center">

Also, <iframe> should only be used on intranets really, where you can control the browser - netscape and some mozilla browsers don't recognise the tag.

Can you use ASP, SSI's or PHP on your webspace? If so, I'd recommend getting rid of the iframe and using includes (SSI's)... I find them easier to manage, but you need to get your head around them first.

Whenever I click on the iframe, it takes me back to the news! That's because you've not closed the anchor (<a> tag) for the news link and it wraps around the iframe. I bet that's cos you forgot to put the News link on the menu bar? (Got distracted? :p)

Another little hint is that you should quote all your attributes... so instead of the following:
    <iframe width=650 height = 425 name="content" src="news.html">
    <iframe width="650" height="425" name="content" src="news.html">

All of the pages within the iframe aren't declared correctly - you start off with a <body> tag. Use something like this:
    <title>This is the page title</title>
    <p>Your content here</p>
    It's just that some browsers won't show a page unless it's declared like that (or at least has a <html> and <body> tag).

Apart from that, it's not a bad site! Your first one? It could do with a little more colour... maybe some nice pics (non cheesy) of the bands and a bit more structure to the news page?

Hope I've not p*ssed on your bonfire! Not meaning to be harsh about it!
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The news link is the homepage. Click the main logo to go back there.,

I will take all of your suggestions and use them in time though.

I should mention ive known html for about 2 weeks. Now it doesnt look so bad eh?
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Honestly, for a guy that hasn't been doing it longer than 2 weeks, it's not bad. You're not doing some things that I see more expererienced designers doing. A few points I want to comment on (and note, I'm no means an expert..all I have is the site I made below).

1) You didn't make your site the full screen width and contained it in a table. Good. However, IMO it should still be alittle bit wider. Trying 700 width instead of 775. This will definately insure that regardless of the monitor size and resolution, the user will not get any side scrolling.

2) It's simple and easy to navigate, that's good. But I would put either a link that goes to contact info and one that goes back to the news page either up in the menu (as an image like the rest) or along the bottom of the page (where you have your email and name now) as a text link, except centered.

3) Use CSS and PHP. I can try and help you a bit with this if you'd like, but I'm terriible at instruction. These two formats within the HTML will make life alot easier. CSS stands to "Cascading Style Sheets" and what it does is it basically says how your page is going to look and how everything will be formatted. You can use it to specify background color, text font, size, color, link color (even make links that change color or underline themselves when you hover over), specify table width..anything you can do in HTML. You specify all these values in one CSS file so that you don't have to keep repeating yourself throughout the HTML. Again, I can explain more.

PHP is something I don't know a ton about. But I use it to make contact forms that I customize to my liking on the site, and I use it to break the page up into sections so I only have to edit one page instead of 50. For example, on my site, the menu and header, side bar, and the footer are all in their own seperate PHP file. This way if I have to edit the menu, I can just edit the one PHP file and I don't have to go through a zillion pages and change all of them. All you do is put the code that calls up the PHP file in the html on each page and that's it. Although, depending on your server, PHP might not be supported.

But again, I'd have to explain that a bit more if you'd like.

That's all I can think of for now. Check out my site to see what I'm talking about in my examples and if you have any questions, PM me. As I said, I'm a lousy teacher, but I'll try *lol*

*edit* I forgot. Make sure to check your site in Firefox and IE because depending on how you code the site, each browser may render the site alittle differently. It's a pain, but after a while I got my site to look the same in both browsers. (they each interpret some code differently)
  5. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Yeah man, it's very good for just 2 weeks work! That's how I started... doing my own sites etc... it all went from there ;) I was a full time web-developer (full on ASP / PHP / CGI / SQL back ends) but now I'm a lowly programmer that does it every now and again on the side ;)

Also, fourstringdrums has made some good comments - especially about the CSS... that's a defo next move for you... here's something to get you started:
    <style type="text/css">
    body, td  {
    	font-family:	Arial;
    	font-size:	9pt;
    	color:		#000000;
    Just put that in your <head> tag and it'll make all your site use 9pt, black Arial font (it's overwriting every <body> and <td> tag in your page). That's just a start... there are so many possibilities with CSS it's ridiculous!

If you need any help with ASP / ASP.NET or pretty much anything to do with web dev, it's my forté... just let me know :)
  6. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I prefer to use external css. Putting it internally still means you have to write it out on every page.
  7. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

So do I, but come on... the guys only been into it for 2 weeks! I was easing him into it slowly... OK, just for you...

Create a file, say 'default.css' and just paste in the following code:
    body, td  {
    	font-size:  9pt;
    	color:       #000000;
    Then reference it, in the <head> of each of your documents as follows:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="default.css" type="text/css">
    Happy 4string? :p
  8. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    *lol* I guess... :p Because as far as I know, internernal css is the same as external, I didn't think it made a difference :)
  9. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

There are SOME things you can do in one, but not in the other and visa-verse - you just learn them as you go along... more advanced stuff really. I prefer the 'external' CSS method because, as you say, it's much easier to manage, and it gives you the option of changing the whole look of your site in a few key presses (depending how you set it up).

I always use .css files and includes in whichever language I'm programming in. Just a quick guide:
    * If the file just contains HTML, and no programming, I use Server Side Includes (SSI)
    * In ASP, I use SSI (the ASP.DLL treats them differently though)
    * In PHP, I use PHP includes
    * In standard HTML, I'm forced to use frames :| But make them as seamless as possible. Most ISPs these days offer some kind of include technology.

God... I could go on about web stuff all day... I'm gonna get on with some of my work!
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im going to use a PHP program for the news.
    My brother is a programming wizard, no kidding, he has tons of code even patented. So if i need help i ask him.