Weber Bias Rite: opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seanlava, Nov 7, 2005.

1. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    Hey tubeheads!
    I'm interested in being able to bias my Mesa Buster 200, and would like to know if any of you have had experience with the Weber Bias Rite tool.

I wonder if this would be easier to use than a separate socket probe and multimeter rig.

PS I know, most Mesa amps are fixed bias, but the previous owner installed a bias trim pot, so mine is adjustable.
  2. Everyone that has used them really likes them. I think they are smartly designed and have features many others do not.
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmm maybe try this in the Amps forum ;)
  4. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    you're probably right. Admin, can this be moved to the Amps forum?
  5. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    This seems like a very cool product! I might have to build a few of these myself. This would be very nice for those who like to swap tubes often. It may be worth the money also to modify your amplifier for the bias pot adjustment to be accessible from the outside (via flathead scredriver pot) ala fender guitar amplifiers. In most of the tube amps I have worked with, the bias pot is internal. And you don't want a knob that is on the outside so that it could be bumped. Personally, though, the multimeter method is good enough for me.
  7. For best results, get the option to read plate voltage as well.

Just knowing current isn't enough, because what you really want to know is dissipation in watts--and that depends on voltage.

Read this advice:
  8. Fuzzhead

Sep 26, 2005
    I've got the 4 socket version with the V1 option (plate current). I've biased my Diezel Herbert head with it which is a 6 tube head (3 duets of power tubes) and it's a breeze to use, just follow the instructions. It's great in that you can flick a switch to toggle from Plate current to bias current on each tube. It's also a hell of a lot safer than the multimeter or scope way, and as far as I know just as accurate. Most amp techs worth their salt prefer the scope method because you can see where crossover distortion starts, but for most of us this is a just a lot easier for the same result.