1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Weber Kit 200W Bass Amp coming soon!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Oct 30, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Ok guys - for anyone who needs tube and needs it your way - a bass amp kit is coming

here are some thread links

http://www.webervst.com/kits/messages/18348.html

http://www.webervst.com/kits/messages/17861.html

With 6 kt88's looks like some adventurous people might be able to get near 300W levels (depending on the Trannies)

Ted estimates the amp to weigh about 60-70lbs. and it looks like it's based off the SVT circuit.

It will not be an easy build but for anyone looking sending this amp to a competent builder might be a much more attractive option when compared to current high end offerings.

Once again depending on the trannies - other components could be added or subbed for "improved sound quality" or any other fru-fru percieved benefits.

It'll most likely be packaged in a brit-marshall type box - so those of you waiting for a Pig kit - this may be the ticket looks wise.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if ted actually gets a more Ampeg-y looking box for the thing.

Either way I do not see this kit topping $1000 for components

which means for a very HIGH estimate you could have the thing built and shipped to you for $1500.

Could this be the sleeper tube amp of 2007? Given Weber's vintage tastes and style - I say yes.

Of course durability and sound quailty rest solely on the builder.
    However, it seems weber is making it easier for people to build the amps they love while not decreasing the skill level involved.

I say go Ted for fronting the expense to fill a niche that just much have a significant return from him.

2. gah! I'd do it in a heart beat, it sounds awesome. I think if he goes through with it, I'm going for it, I'll have electrosonic build it because soldering and I are definitely not hip to each other.

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...hmmmm, looks interesting. Thanks for the info/heads up!

~S~

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Sweet! I wonder if you could put any kind of preamp you wanted in it. :meh:

5. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Interesting!

Looks like it's the whole amp built into the kit - two inputs, effect send and return - bass, mids, treble, mid shift, presence, volume (don't see gain, but I'd hope it'd be there). By quick count, 4 12AX7's and 1 EL84

http://www.tedweber.com/schematics/ab200_schem.jpg

Marshall

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ah, an EL84 in the preamp section?!? Very cool! Sounds like this'll definately be a gritty British flavoured head!

7. SubMonkey

SubMonkey

May 3, 2004
    Denver, CO
    well..... I was G.A.S. free for about 2 months this time. This is on my X-mas list, like right at the top..

SM

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    fun!

9. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    NICE!! I just wish I knew an amp builder:help:

10. herndonbassist

herndonbassist Low Down Thumper

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    awesome... as soon as i finish my meatball clone i think that i'll go for this :-D whippppeeeeeee

11. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Fear not - Weber is cool like fonzi

when this kit comes online - he'll probably include an option to have it shipped already built (you'd just have to drop it in the head cab I think)

I'd expect the build cost to be from $400 to $500 on top of the kit cost - judging from his other highly complex kits and the additional cost of work attached to them.

Rest assured it will be a monster.

Also look to the guy at Electrosonic Amps as he also offers kit building services for the weber kits.

And be sure to check out his other stuff as they are VERY cool - like retro cool www.electrosonicamplifiers.com

I really hope Ted releases the amp in his 100 plexi type box as that will look very Bad @$$

I've been waiting for this for a very long time. I'm also going to build the Mass Pedal and throw it in the FX loop of my B1500 as it looks like THE answer to the problem of getting output tube overdrive for a SS amp. We'll see! For $150 how can I NOT try right?

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Actually it looks more like two 12AX7's and an EL84 feeding a choke for that super beefy power section

13. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Ah ok. So one tube in the tone controls and one in the effects loop? Is that right?

Marshall

14. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Looks like you can throw any preamp you want in the effects return (though it is pre master so watch your gain levels)

Kind of makes me wonder what would happen if you plugged in just a line driver right into the EL84 to the KT88s and just drove the piss out of the power section - no eq just pure balls out overdrive.

Hmmmm.

15. Subscribing now.

16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You can click on the Thread Tools link, then click the Subscribe to Thread option. There's no need to post to subscribe to a thread.

17. I realize that. I posted only to show my enthusiasum. Pardon the usless post. By the way I am glad your not a newt anymore.:)

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Me too! Cheeseburgers taste much better than grubs and ants. :D

19. :) I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hampster and your father smelled of elderberries!:)

20. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn

Both 12AX7's are located in the preamp as the Effects loop is in series (no tube buffering)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 27, 2021