1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Webhosting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm looking for a good, not too expensive, responsive, webhost. PHPwebhosting, while cheap, is not so good. Server crashes, no customer support, and slow server response time are not worth even the 10$ a month I pay now. Anyone who has a webhost they like please tell me about it. I am not going to host my own site for various reasons. thanks!

2. im sure thole will chime in soon

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My bro has a kickass server and he can host for you but it depends what you'll be hosting.

4. I use PHPwebhosting

I don't see what you mean by how bad they are, Blisshead. I've been using them for a few months now. Quick servers, customer support is great, the servers crashed a few times when I first had them, but it was because they were doing work to them. I think they are just fine.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Having brought them A LOT of business.... I'm about to jump ship as well. They were happening 3 years ago :meh:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i've been usuing www.westhost.com for years now. haven't researched a lot of companies so i'm not sure what the others have to offer, and for how much - but i've never, EVER had any problems with them - and i hear lots of people complain about their webhosts. our pages always load quickly, i've never witnessed any "downtime" as i know other hosts often have. whenever i've had problems with my website (from my end) they've helpfully responded withing hours - not days. i've recommended them to some others and nobodys ever had a complaint.

if you wind up using them please tell them that you were sent by thenerve.org bacuase they used to give us a month or 2 free if we brough in new customers. not sure if they still do. another little perk i kinda like. :)

7. www.dreamhost.com

Couple of my friends are using them, and without any major problems.

my webpage (the-bass.net) is just hosted on an old computer that runs RH7 and has a 256k upload connection.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm looking too, and one place that I found that seems like a good deal is www.jatol.com

pretty good rates for a good amount of space, and a generous bandwidth usage limit(that you can buy more if needed)

whoa, just looked at dream-host! wow that looks way good

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You've actually gotten a response from C.S.?!?!!?

Consider yourself lucky.

Speddling, let me know where you end up! I can't take it any longer.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Joe, I will if I do! The bass and WR, thanks I'll check those out.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use Aplus.net-the Solo XR plan, to be exact. $9.95 a month with a one-time $20 startup fee, unlimited bandwith, 200mb of space, good customer service, and the server is never down. CNet gave them great reviews as well. I like it.

12. I bugged them like 20 times and got responses within hours EVERY TIME.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Odd. Congrats!

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I use FutureQuest and would not consider using any other host. Remarkable performance and incredible support.

<pimping>Oh, if you're going to check them out, go to my site and click the link at the bottom of the home page. Affiliate points, ya know.</pimping> ;)

Tom

15. Wow, I feel like I won a prize or something.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Judging by my experience with phpwebhosting, you have.

17. Guess I got to them when they woke up :p

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    :D :D

19. I am my own webhosting company.. no problems with support etc :p

which reminds me.. still have to install the new server for personal websites..

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought about doing that, but I have too many things on my list of crap to do already. Yes, I know I can set it up and forget it if it's just for me. It's a problem of motivation I guess.