Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Webhosting

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I'm looking for a good, not too expensive, responsive, webhost. PHPwebhosting, while cheap, is not so good. Server crashes, no customer support, and slow server response time are not worth even the 10$ a month I pay now. Anyone who has a webhost they like please tell me about it. I am not going to host my own site for various reasons. thanks!

2. im sure thole will chime in soon

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My bro has a kickass server and he can host for you but it depends what you'll be hosting.

4. I use PHPwebhosting

I don't see what you mean by how bad they are, Blisshead. I've been using them for a few months now. Quick servers, customer support is great, the servers crashed a few times when I first had them, but it was because they were doing work to them. I think they are just fine.

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Having brought them A LOT of business.... I'm about to jump ship as well. They were happening 3 years ago :meh:

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i've been usuing www.westhost.com for years now. haven't researched a lot of companies so i'm not sure what the others have to offer, and for how much - but i've never, EVER had any problems with them - and i hear lots of people complain about their webhosts. our pages always load quickly, i've never witnessed any "downtime" as i know other hosts often have. whenever i've had problems with my website (from my end) they've helpfully responded withing hours - not days. i've recommended them to some others and nobodys ever had a complaint.

if you wind up using them please tell them that you were sent by thenerve.org bacuase they used to give us a month or 2 free if we brough in new customers. not sure if they still do. another little perk i kinda like. :)

7. www.dreamhost.com

Couple of my friends are using them, and without any major problems.

my webpage (the-bass.net) is just hosted on an old computer that runs RH7 and has a 256k upload connection.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm looking too, and one place that I found that seems like a good deal is www.jatol.com

pretty good rates for a good amount of space, and a generous bandwidth usage limit(that you can buy more if needed)

whoa, just looked at dream-host! wow that looks way good

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You've actually gotten a response from C.S.?!?!!?

Consider yourself lucky.

Speddling, let me know where you end up! I can't take it any longer.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Thanks Joe, I will if I do! The bass and WR, thanks I'll check those out.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I use Aplus.net-the Solo XR plan, to be exact. $9.95 a month with a one-time $20 startup fee, unlimited bandwith, 200mb of space, good customer service, and the server is never down. CNet gave them great reviews as well. I like it.

12. I bugged them like 20 times and got responses within hours EVERY TIME.

13. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Odd. Congrats!

14. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I use FutureQuest and would not consider using any other host. Remarkable performance and incredible support.

<pimping>Oh, if you're going to check them out, go to my site and click the link at the bottom of the home page. Affiliate points, ya know.</pimping> ;)

Tom

15. Wow, I feel like I won a prize or something.

16. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Judging by my experience with phpwebhosting, you have.

17. Guess I got to them when they woke up :p

18. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    :D :D

19. I am my own webhosting company.. no problems with support etc :p

which reminds me.. still have to install the new server for personal websites..

20. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I thought about doing that, but I have too many things on my list of crap to do already. Yes, I know I can set it up and forget it if it's just for me. It's a problem of motivation I guess.