1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Website and vids for new Yamaha Super BB basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HariKari, Apr 24, 2010.

1. HariKari

HariKari

Feb 21, 2005
    Payson, Utah
    I'm a little surprised that more has not been said on TB about the new BB1000 & BB2000 series basses from Yamaha, which are being called by some (even Yamaha reps, perhaps) Super BBs. I could only find one thread on them from last December.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=612266

The new BBs apparently appeared in Japan the end of last year, and then at NAMM and Musikmesse, and are now starting to be listed by European retailers. An English BB site is up and about 2 weeks ago a number of YouTube vids appeared featuring Lee Sklar, James Lomenzo, Nathan East and others discussing the new basses. They have five-piece necks, really unique diagonal through-body stringing, new pups, nickle silver nut, spline jointed body, metal control plate and knobs (X series), and more. Clearly a major development effort from Yamaha. Prices are apparently in the $2600-3300 range. :eyebrow:

[Pricing update: Looking at European pricing for the full line, the new models spread out a bit. Subtracting VAT, the BB424 (basically, a 414 with a five-piece neck) streets around $600; the fiver is $50 more. The BB1024, the proper entry point to the Super BBs (IMO), streets around $1700.]

Anyway, here is a link to the new BB website, which also links out to the videos. Anyone laid hands on these bad boys?

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/bb/

img10293957169.
    [​IMG]

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I hope I can find one in a store to play.

3. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Those look awesome - but holy ****. Expensive. I don't even care how awesome they are if that's the price. I'm sure they're good for people on a certain budget, but that's what I spend on a car.

4. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If you have the cash, they are worth it. Highend Yamahas are on par with anything boutique or factory. The only downside can be resale value.:rolleyes:

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wasn't very impressed with the videos. There was way too much talking, and way too little playing. I think the hype revolves around the fact that the new BBs are super well made, but they just another set of P/J basses. It's not like we were going to get blown away by any new tones.:D

6. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yeah, I know Yamahas are good. I just have a hard time imagining spending that much on any bass. I'd get a used MIJ Yamaha from the '70s or '80s for about 1/5 of the price personally.

Edit: just saw the price update in the original post. My opinion still stands, but they're not as unreasonable as I thought.

7. HariKari

HariKari

Feb 21, 2005
    Payson, Utah
    I've updated pricing information above. For being new models and what they are, pricing's really not too far out there. The BB1024 should enter the US market at about $1600 and of course drop some after the new wears off a bit. That's about the price of a Fender American Deluxe or a reissue, which is basically the category Yamaha is aiming at, "designed for today’s pro rock players – a no compromise passive, bolt-on bass." For someone nostalgic for the great BBs of yore, and for a top-shelf Japanese Yamaha, that price isn't out of the question. But of course Yamaha doesn't have the brand strength in the US that it has elsewhere, so prices will have to come down some to really compete.

For myself, I love my two Yamahas. If I did not have a BB414, I'd probably go straight for the BB424 for just $200 more. As for the higher models, though, I couldn't see me spending $1600 on a passive bass. TRBs start $750 new. That's my next Yamaha purchase.

http://yamahadownload.yamaha-europe.com/guitars_news.php?id=241

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would spend $1,600 for a quality passive bass in a heartbeat!
    At that price, these basses will be a wonderful option for working bassists or those who just don't have boutique cheddar. One of the highend BBs with a Sadowsky outboard preamp would be slammin'!:bassist:

9. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    man can't wait for these to hit the states!!! Always loved Yamaha... seems I always go back to them when I am looking for a new bass :)

10. whisper14072

whisper14072

May 16, 2008
    Grand Island
    anyone know the specs on these? Width at nut and such? Saw the neck radius on the site but nothing more :)

11. the look is growing on me - hated it at first . . .

12. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    The great thing about Yamaha is that they have zero resale value. I can't wait until I can pick up one of these used on TB for 5 bills in a few years!

13. oldno.7

oldno.7

Aug 23, 2009
    I had heard that these were coming out but they're still not listed under electric basses on Yamaha's web site. I'm glad someone found the link.

14. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    What's the difference between the BB424 and the BB414? They look exactly the same. Is it just in the construction? :confused:

15. HariKari

HariKari

Feb 21, 2005
    Payson, Utah
    From the information available, it looks like the upgrades are a five-piece maple/nato neck (nato?), diagonal thru-body stringing, and maybe upgraded tuners (though not the new string tree, judging from the photos). A comparison chart across the new model lines is here.

16. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    I've often wondered what kind of wood Nato is myself. :confused:

17. I wish they would make a BB that was active and with just a reverse P pickup.

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I really like BBs a lot, and I'd love to get my hands on one of these!

19. No maple boards? The one James Lorenzo is playing in the photos looks great!

Andy

20. I have a BB2024x and it's the best passive bolt on I've ever played. I tried one at Bass Direct a few months ago and ordered one on the spot. I've also ordered a BB2025x for using in my main band - these basses are that good and after having played and gigged this instrument constantly for the last six weeks there isn't one thing I can fault it on. I've promised to do a review but I need some more time with it; I need the honeymoon period to be over so I can be completely objective. The tone is absolutely terrifyingly good and way beyond any P/J configured bass I've heard; the J has huge tone. Played through an MXR M80 DI+ it kills everything. These really could be "the one bass for the rest of your life" for many people. As different too from Spector NS5 as a Ferrari is from a Porsche, two ends of the fabulous spectrum.

The ARE and IRA processes make the wood extremely resonant and they really sing. These are very loud basses when played acoustically.

As far as resale value goes, who cares? Whatever it loses, it won't be as much as my next car, I'm sure but I know that this bass will be with me longer than my next car.

P1000410-1-1.
    P1000406.
    P1000413.
    P1000408.
    P1000417.