1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Website design critique (what do you think?)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mattsk42, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

Not completed, but close. Some things are not how I would like them, I know, but they requested it. I'm sure those will get pointed out. :)

http://neighborsmn.squarespace.com/

Any tips? Anyone know how to get rid of the "double" "home" link under the "home" dropdown? (Squarespace specific)

2. Everything is looking good and it seems functional. The lack of continuity in the border lines on the left and right bother me a little, but it is hardly a big deal.

Didn't see any broken links, everything is legible and nicely organized.

As far as the double line on the home button goes.. you had used that as a rollover for "clothes closet", and some of the other links, so my guess is that the image you used for "home" on the homepage was a rollover image in the active slot.. I would check that out. You can compare it to "home" on the other pages since it appears only on the homepage like that.

I am not familiar with squarespace at all, but I would just check your options again and see if you might have mistakenly typed something in, had a wrong setting or just used the wrong image.

3. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    You may not be able to get it out from under there, if you're using a software, but you get it out by removing the following lines of code, found on line 155 of your code, according to Chrome:
    Code:
      <li class="module active-module  " id="navigationTop-moduleContentWrapper8052739"> 

<div id="navigationTop-moduleContent8052739"> 

<a id="navigationTop-moduleLink8052739" class=" " href="/home/" ><span>home</span></a>
    If you can edit your html I would do a find/replace on that line of code across all your pages, and it will get rid of it.

I'd also look at having the category buttons (the ones you mouse over that create the drop down list underneath) have the line underneath them regardless of whether they're selected or not, it let's people know what category they're in with a real simple looksie. (Ninja Edit) I went to check this out, and it's a script that's doing it, not a stylesheet, so it may not be as easy as I thought.

I'd also (and this is the SEO guy in me talking) put some keywords in your header as well, cause right now it's devoid of any, which isn't too hot for being found on Google, as I'm sure is your goal.

Other than that, I think it looks pretty decent. There are a whole lot of scripts though for what seems like a fairly simple website. What program did you use to generate it?

4. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    The scripts are Yahoo UI, which is a solid choice. I don't think they're all needed/justified, but I'd rather see this than Dreamweaver-generated stuff.

5. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Ah.

I'm not a big fan of javascripts in general for websites when there's so much that can be done with style sheets, which is how I normally build my sites. I've never used dreamweaver (Microsoft Expression Web almost exclusively). I hear a lot of guys swear by it, what's it do?

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    It's part of the Adobe Creative (Design Premium) Suite. It's a vector-based layout program that supports interaction. You can output documents in HTML/CSS and other formats. I used it some times for prototyping, but for the actual coding I do it exclusively in Coda, nothing is generated by the software.

Someone delivering final sites generated with Dreamweaver is a bit of a joke in the field.

7. mattsk42

mattsk42 Supporting Member

It was made using Squarespace's editor, which is where all the random scripts come from.

Thanks for the tips, I didn't notice a couple and will update that today.