Website design software

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slugworth, Nov 25, 2004.

1. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    First of all....HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL T-B'RS!!!

Anybody out there design your own band websites???
    Which software are you using? We've done a simple website
    using the host templates and stuff, but it's very limited and
    cheesy-weenie..I'm pretty good with Windows XP, and
    PC's in general, but I'm not really up on HTML..I've heard
    good things about the Dreamweaver software..Opinions?

2. I was never fond of any software that was out there, so I learned how to code the thing myself.
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I started out on dreamweaver and am using go live right now...
  4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile is all I use now... but it's mostly useless to someone who doesn't know how to code.

If you have Office for that XP box, just use frontpage. Does a fine job, has templates and tutorials.
  5. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    If it's a WYSIWYG program you're looking for, Dreamweaver is very good (and costly). Less expensive alternatives would be Frontpage, NetObjects Fusion, or Cute SiteBuilder. The problem with cheaper WYSIWYG programs is that the templates are probably no better than the ones you find cheesy now.

I hand code too. On my windows machine, I use an amazing $20 editor (NoteTab Pro). Hand coding has some financial advantages. :)

6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I write my websites from raw HTML, but I haven't done a band website yet. Here are a few I did the graphics and coding for:

Learnign the code really is the best way to go- WYSIWYG programs end up being a needless crutch after you learn style sheets and the like. A very good site on web design for newbies is
    Ultimately it is very nice to have the freedom of using open source instead of worrying about how some program is going to perform, screw you over, etc- none of them are 100% reliable, and the published results do very to some extent. Also, it is much better to learn a language (HTML, PHP, JAVA, etc) than it is to learn a program. Programs are costly as well.
  7. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    If you want something REAL basic (and free), do a search for AOLPress. I've done some more advanced work but that program is still pretty good when I'm doing a simple site.. And if you find some stuff you want to add, you can always insert code manually.

Coffee Cup makes some pretty decent and relatively cheap stuff too with a few more bells and whistles.
  8. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
  9. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Vim is my main development tool - steep learning curve but worth it if you're doing a lot of work with text files. Of course it does help that my job is 'webmaster' and thus I get paid to spend every working day building websites and dealing with data using such tools.

10. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Deifiler's rancid webspace:

I used dreamweaver for the design, paintshop pro for the images (which took me bloody hours as I cannot grasp it's concept!), flash for the interactive bit (more will be added to that soon. Mouse over 'home' for some zombie-blasting action!) and some ASP coding for the message board and image gallery (asp image gallery isn't up yet though).

The logo, which reads 'Deifiler', was hand drawn by my brother about 18 months ago. I found a really crap scanned version and spent 5 or 6 hours tweaking it on painsthop (again because I can barley use it) until it came out as it is :D my pride and joy! :D

All that's really up so far is the bio I wrote for the band, and our individual bio's. Any feedback would be appreciated!
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    I found a program called "Webpagemaker"..So far, so good;
    it's fast, easy, and looks good! I'll post a link to my site
    when it's done.

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

1st page is cool, can be set to different stages, templates, checkers all that extra crap, FREE.
  13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    A sizeable chunk of my day job is web design. I do my coding by hand in Notepad, but I use Dreamweaver to easily organize, format, error check, link check, and publish. That said, I had to do a lot of custom work to make Dreamweaver XHTML compatible (though you probably wouldn't need to).

I had Frontpage for a long time, but it kept inserting junk code. But it's usable.

Please don't use Word to generate pages. Worst. Coding. Ever. And good luck if you want it to work in Mozilla, Safari, Netscape, etc.