Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Website help, por favor! Image maps? Huh?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ok, I figure I'll ask here, since there's a bunch of musicians here that can talk down to my level (unlike most tech forums).

I'm trying to make an image where you can click on certain parts of it to access other pages. I've already made the image, sliced it up the way I want, but I don't know how to incorporate into my webpage. I got a folder of sliced up images, and I blindly assumed that I could just dump them into Composer, and that they would magically arrange themselves correctly. Wrong. It's a mess. I'm sure there's an easier way to do this rather than sit and fool with it like a Rubiq's Cube; how do I do this?

2. There is a program you can get called MapEdit. You take the full picture, throw it into the program and use the selector tool to select each thing you want as a link, when you do so it asks what you want the link to point to, put in whatever page. When your done, save it as an HTML page and it has the code for the map in it.

Edit: I've used it on www.sentryelite.com/gld/main.html www.sentryelite.com/208/main.html and www.sentryelite.com/mrsf/

I just threw it up on my server so you can download it, www.sentryelite.com/stuff/mapedit.exe

Hope that helps.

Peace,
    Tyler

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, i'm on a Mac, so that won't help me much. Thanks anyway!

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    check the source on my page www.blisshead.com/one.htm if you want, there is a simple image map there. I'm a crappy web designer, but it works anyway.

5. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    To avoid messing with the tedious imagemap code, I believe that you can achieve the same results by using a table. You have the image already sliced and diced, so you're a leg up. Just make sure to set cellspacing, cellpadding, and border of the table to "0" and don't leave any whitespace in the html code within the table. In each table cell, you just link that piece of the picture to where you want to go.

Just a thought....

Tom