Website in Progress - Comments/Suggestions Welcome

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I'm about halfway through with my first website, and wondering how it comes across to someone other than myself. Too formal? Too goofy? Okay, but maybe it should have....? I've never done this before, so I could use some new and/or more experienced eyes and viewpoints.

The actual programming is being done by an outside source, but he's been really great about getting what I'm asking for across. So far, about half of the pages are up, and if anyone has any serious comments/insights/inspirations on what's up so far, please share them - I could use the input! Thanks.

(No troll postings, please - anything resembling "d00d, Ur W3b51T3 5UcK5" or whatever will be removed)
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    d00d, Ur W3b51T3 15 teh \/\/!n

Looks great Chris. I saw it (sans any content) when you posted it in the 'newbe spamming his bass for sale' thread. I like the monochrome framing and back drop. Nice Work
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    This is a great looking site. The layout and color scheme is classy, sophisticated, and entirely appropriate for what you want to convey.

I'd look into making your name a little bigger on the site to grab the viewer's eye, and maybe get away from using the "Real Book" font for it. I like the effect, but it lacks a some authority and boldness for me. However, this might easily be changed by keeping the existing "CRISPY FISHGOGGLES" in the same font, but making it bigger and lie on a horizontal line as opposed the the diagonal it's on now.

A good name logo adds a quickly recognizable identity that can be useful as a banner in print media as well as something you can offer other sites to link to you.
  4. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Superlative work. Your webmaster deserves a raise, and kudos on the format.

First, it's easy to navigate. Big plus. Nothing too fancy, nothing outlandish, and not too much going on.

The color scheme is strong. It's soft and easy on the eyes. It's stylish and sophisticated.

Your background DB graphics are awesome. Very attractive.

Good content. I like your name the size it is, it's large enough to where I saw it right away, but not excessively big, to where it's annoying.

It's a very good website Chris. I look forward to the soundclips coming up.

One suggestion: For the pages that are under construction, instead of simply going to the homepage, how about having some text stating that the page is still under construction. I thought that the link simply hadn't worked. It took me a second to figure out what was going on.
  5. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i wouldn't change a thing
  6. tsolo

Aug 24, 2002
    Ft. Worth
    Looks good. I wish I had that vision.
  7. Gufenov

Jun 8, 2003
    Great site, very classy. I'll make one suggestion, but only 'cuz you asked. Depending on the resolution setting on their computer, most visitors will need to use the scroll bar at the bottom to move the page, so they can read the last few letters in each sentence. I'd suggest you change the right margin so this isn't necessary. Notice that the TB site is set up with about the same size scroll bar, but you can read all the posts without scrolling right.

I work with various forms of communications in my job, and I've learned that the less effort your reader (or listener, or viewer) has to make to receive your message, the more likely they are to stick around and pay attention. Not a big deal, by any means, but a way for you to make a great site a little bit better.
  8. Nice job!

...but Mr Staples says "soooo... where's the cat?"

- Wil
  9. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks for the comments, everyone! I feel a bit more at ease with it now that it's actually going up. I was afraid it would look too much like a pretentious ART**** site.

I agree. But J.D. claims that you only have to scroll when your resolution is set to something like 800x600, and he claims that that's a lousy resolution to have your screen set on. However, I have to scroll here at home on both my Mac and my wife's PC, which tells me that this resolution is not as uncommon as he would have me believe. Personally, I'd rather no have to scroll side-to-side at all. How many people have to scroll to read the text on the bio page?
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Chris, that is a bold statement! by default both Windows and MacOS set the resolution to 800x600 during the install, no mattter what size the monitor. I support a wide spectrum of non-power computer users... I'd say 80% are set to 800x600
  11. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Very tasteful and classy, Chris. Professional but personal.
  12. Very Impressive....even though there`s no cat..

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The cat is on his way - I think he'll appear on the "contact" page next to the TB link. :)

The soundclips are now up, but be warned: they are long jazz performances which will take a while to download...I'm going to try and edit a few of them to smaller sizes that feature the bass and put those next to the full versions, but I have to wait for things to calm down first. Thanks for the input, everyone.
  14. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Diggin' it, but how come you don't mention TB curmudeon in your Bio
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I was going to, but I couldn't figure out how to spell it. :)

Hey, at least J.D. finally put the cat up there on the last page. He also said that he reformatted the site for 800 x 600 resolution, but I can't really tell much difference: I still have to scroll on my wife's PC, but not on my Mac. Computers... :rolleyes: Can't live with 'em,...
  16. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    KissMy GritsGerald:
    I like that site a lot. Very nice work! FWIW I really dig that version of "The Shadow of Your Smile", as I have always liked that song a lot. The way the melody moves over the chord progression just gets to me every time. Thank you for reminding me of it again.
    The "Ramblings" section is tres cool!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
  18. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Well done Chris. Class act all the way.

19. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I think it looks great...very enjoyable.
  20. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I went and had a look a while ago - but lost this thread in all the dross that's been posted since! ;)

But I felt I ought to come back and say that this looks really good - it is profesional-looking and serious, but does have humorous touches and gives an definite idea of a real "personality" - I think anybody reading it would want to play Jazz with you!! ;)