1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Webstring Detroit Steel Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by davidsmashdrums, Dec 7, 2011.

1. How do guys here like dis like
    The medium set 45-65-80-105
    Webstring Detroit Steel Flatwounds

???

thanks guys!

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I'll let you know if they ever show up.

-Alex

3. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    Fine string. Very smooth feeling, and good sounding. I have them on a Spectorcore 4-string.

I have the DR flats on a different bass, a US Masters EP4. They are very slightly looser feeling than the Detroit Flats. I am able to get the action on the bass with with the Detroits very low without significant buzz.

Considering price/performance ratio, I think they are a great value.

4. thanks I'm going to move down from LaBella Jamersons to GHS 45-105 flats!

Just ordered from Music123 through eBay
    $23.68

5. I will have a set of LA BELLA 0760M Jamerson strings in a little bit they are cut for inline 4 string PM me if interested after the GHS go on these 52-73-95-110 flats will be available!
    Thanks guys

6. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    So as to not unduly sully the name of webstrings.com, I should mention that strings did finally show up, and webstrings.com were in no way responsible for any delay in them arriving at my door. They shipped them out in a timely fashion within a day or two of my order, and were held up either in customs (Canada) or by Canada Post (as it was the Christmas season).

Now for the bad news: Even though I kinda liked the E and A strings -- warm, smooth tone, as well as smooth feel -- the D string was very bright and 'twangy', as well as the G string, though not as much.

So my first experience with Webstrings Detroit Flats is that they are terribly inconsistent.

This was the .045-.065-.080-.105 set, installed on a 1982 fretless Ibanez Musician (MC940). These may not be the right strings for this bass, I will try them on something else.

I also have the .050-.070-.085-.110 heavy set. I'll let you know if they make a better impression on me.

(For comparison purposes, my current favourite strings are GHS Precision Flats -- .055-.070-.090-.105 -- on a 1980 MC924. And I tune them all to D standard these days.)

7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    What can I say... flatwounds need time to break in, and maybe my ears change from day to day. Either way, I do want to like these strings, and I have come to like the sound of the E and A strings. Very growly for a flatwound. The D and G sound nice, aslo, but different than the E and A.

And, if the attachment works, you can see the radical difference in the appearance of the strings.

I really wouldn't mind trying a set of these if they were consistent, but it seems that it would be three different sets. Maybe I'll email webstrings.com and see if they can arrange that for me.

DetroitSteel-105-045.