Webstrings - good cheap strings ?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Vic, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I just got a bunch of sets, but haven't tried them yet. I'm used to DR's, so I don't expect these to be as nice, but at this price...

Anyway, I'd really like some opinions from folks who've put a few miles on these.

Thanks!! :)
  2. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I tried a few sets of 4's several years ago. Rather so-so but certainly not bad for the price. Lasted a while, too, as I recall. I used the nickel rounds.
  3. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I've used them in three different gauges on two different instruments. They are as good as any other nickel roundwound I've ever used, imo.

The webstrings are a good price and I've dealt with Wayne (I think he's the boss there) directly and have gotten excellent service everytime I've ordered. He has even mixed string gauges not listed on the site to give me exactly what I wanted.
  4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Smash, I'm glad they work for you. I, for one, will not try them again. I've tried two sets so far, and neither was much good for anything. Fortunately, I live right near the Carvin factory, so if I want "good and cheap", I can go there.
  5. Hi guys!
    i just wanted to add to this thread that i replaced those elixer test strings with these, and i will say, for the price, these strings aren't bad! for 10 bucks, they can be some great backup strings!
    I may even go so far as to say they are the SX of the string world!
  6. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    I have bought them. They are not as good as say DR's. But they are a good string. I like the steel alittle bit better. For the price. Can't beat them. They won't last as long as the DR's either. But at that price they are a great buy. Buy a few and see. I mean it won't hurt you financially.
  7. Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    I have tried them and they're okay. But I don't see what's so cheap about $10.50/set. I can get D'Addarios from MF for $12.50/set almost anytime, and there are always deals on eBay. I bought five sets of EB Slinkys for $9.00/set a few months back.
  8. ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    i use them all the time as being based in australia these strings are so much cheaper than anything you can buy over here. personally i think they are great and they last ages, for the money you cant go wrong ;)
  9. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I think these are decent strings. They are a bit stiff feeling compared to D'Addario or DRs and the don't shimmer as much on the top end.

The price allows you to change them more regularly than a full priced name brand string. A slightly lower quality new string sounds better then an old set of the best strings.