1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

We'd like your feedback on Neck Wood! SS1 Wenge vs Maple

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by WarwickOfficial, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes

15.7%
  2. Wenge with a maple veneer layer added

84.3%
  1. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Hello Everyone!

We'd like your feedback on what neck wood you'd like to see on a Streamer Stage 1 - 4, 5, and 6 string models.

Maple with Ekanga veneer stripes -OR- Wenge with a maple veneer layer added?

What would YOU request? Thanks for your comments! PLEASE vote in the poll above...thanks!

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I do like the snap that the maple provides, but the wenge that my Corvette has is truly special.

3. Personally, I'd go with Wenge. I've had a couple of Warwicks over the years (still have a Thumb 5 BO with the wide spacing), and I just like the sound of the Wenge.

4. if you do a diff neck, would that make it a different number? i think ss1 has been maple and should remain maple. new 'design' for new neck, imho.

5. Maple just seems so bland and typical. In my opinion, it doesn't contribute much to the whole "Sound of Wood" mantra. Wenge, therefore and in my opinion, is just typical Warwick. Not to mention, Wenge is more stiff and durable than maple. You wouldn't have to worry about the neck warping as much as you do with maple. I've had some maple neck basses where each time I would change the strings, I would have to wait a while for the wood to re-adjust itself otherwise I would end up playing with messed up string action and dead spots galore! ...and this was with several high-end basses!

Also, wenge looks so much nicer and sounds so much better. However, I understand there are availability issues and price issues but then again that's one of the main reasons why Warwicks are Warwicks...because of the exotic woods.

I just want to know when Warwick is making another Thumb BO with an all wenge neck! I would love to get my hands on a Thumb 6 BO broad-neck with an all wenge neck

6. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    I love the feel and tone of the Wenge neck on my Warwick. Easily my favorite neck wood.

7. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Wenge (for) the win!

8. brotherbassj

brotherbassj

Sep 20, 2008
    Virginia
    Jim Dunlop USA, King Kong Cases, Golden Eagle Energy Drink
    Wenge hands down!

9. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    General consensus seems about the same across a couple of different forums...80%+ Wengé! Wow, lots of Wengé love out there! I'll bring all feedback to the design team, and keep you all posted with any developments! Thanks!

10. Sonic

Sonic Lord of the Grump

Wenge. By Thor's hammer, Wenge!

11. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I know this isn't answering your question but how about maple with a wenge board like this Streamer Corvette Ltd. I bought one new in 91 and around 95 made the mistake of letting a great friend use it in his studio. He still won't give it back....the thing records magically.

12. Wenge is the way to go

13. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Hi jeffbonny,

Thanks for your feedback. The Wenge/maple board combination can be ordered through the custom shop. Your friend has had the bass since '95? : ) Great story...thanks!

14. Wenge necks are one of the reasons I prefer older Warwicks. Ovangkol just ain't the same...

15. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    RCCollins,

Wenge necks are still available, and now we also offer FSC-Certified (Forest Stewardship Council) Wenge! Ovangkol was chosen for its similarity to Wenge, as there was civil war in Congo that made it difficult to obtain Wenge in a responsible manner. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can assist you in any way. Thanks for your feedback!

16. ilikebass7

ilikebass7

Sep 7, 2008
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    Wenge wenge wenge

17. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Thanks again for your participation! On the 3 forums I posed this question - the percentages were all exactly the same! I will take all comments back to the design team. Much appreciated!

18. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

Wenge and purpleheart with birdseye fingerboard. Oh my!!

19. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Means2nEnd, I agree with you...that sounds phenomenal! I've seen this combination a handful of times...not common, but simply divine! Thanks!

20. dan_horro

dan_horro

Sep 24, 2011
    wenge rulz:bassist: