1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wedding Band questions (big fingers)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by CBBass123, Mar 5, 2008.

1. CBBass123

CBBass123 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Hey guys and gals, I'm getting married in two months and my fiance and I are looking for a wedding band for myself. I'm looking for 18k white gold plain comfort fit milgrain. Or similar. At first, I was looking into platinum but the problem I am having is that I have big fingers. I don't know how to tell what size of ring finger I have. All the local jewelry stores size testers go up to 15...so i'm bigger than a 15. Platinum is out, cause the price goes up the bigger the ring gets...so 18k white gold...something nice...Any help from you guys would be appreciated. I do not know where they sell big ring sizes or custom orders for them. Any experiences for you people with big hands??
    Thanks
    CB

2. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    You can find a ring size strip online, which can help you figure out the size. Palladium might be another good choice since it is cheaper than platinum.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I don't get to see many people who need a bigger ring than me. I'm vaguely impressed. I wear a fifteen and the gold ring I got when I actually got married was to cheap. It would go kind of egg-shaped after I lifted a heavy patient. So I got a silver ring at the local Irish Festival. I picked it up because it had a cool looking celtic knot pattern and was pretty substantial and actually fit me, a rarity.

It was supposed to be a bookmark in place of my 'real' wedding ring while I worked. In stead I got used to it and prefer it over the 'real' ring, which I haven't seen in over a year. It's in a drawer, somewhere.

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Rochester, NY
    Get a bottle opener ring.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Damn, that title threw me off. I thought you meant something like

group_cut_1.

6. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Inside
    Diameter Diameter Circumference Circumference Size
    (inches) (mm) (inches) (mm)
    0.938 23.8 2.945 74.8 15
    0.946 24.0 2.970 75.4 15 1/4
    0.954 24.2 2.996 76.1 15 1/2
    0.962 24.4 3.021 76.7 15 3/4
    0.970 24.6 3.046 77.4 16

7. CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Wedding "band"...I just realized the confusion...It's funny because the metal ring that holds my keys together fits me perfectly. Are there any places internet based that order large ring sizes. Looking for 18k white gold milgrain comfort. If not...i'll just have to dip my key chain ring in gold :D

8. CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    :rollno: :D

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    What's your shoe size?? I've heard that ring size is usually a close approximation of shoe size.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That doesn't work. My shoes are only size 13W.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm really glad you aren't my proctologist!

12. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    If he is using his foot you need a new proctologist.

13. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    LOL, you just tore me up, dude. I got an instant visual on that.

14. CBBass123

Oct 18, 2005
    Texas
    Size 15 shoe size. But we're talkin about rings for fingers...:D

15. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yup, them's some big fingers there :eek:

My ring size is 14, and you're right that most jewelers only have sizing rings up to a 15. But if you go to a small custom jeweler (not the mall stores or big retailers) they can measure your finger for sizing. Just find a small custom shop in your area and they can do it .... problem is that they're a little more expensive, but usually worth it.

And don't get titanium .... it's durable but they can't cut it off of your finger in an emergency ... :help:

16. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    ::Refraining from making a comment about big hands and lucky fiance├ęs.::

Our local jeweler made custom rings, so all you need to do is ask. I believe a lot of jewelers do it.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually I have cut off a titanium ring. It wasn't easy to do and the ring shattered, rather than cutting cleanly, but our ring cutters will get them off if we REALLY have to.

18. I've got a titanium ring.

I hate rings, and the light titanium is great. I've actually surprised my wife with as often as I do wear it.

19. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Is the banner ad for Joshua's Jewelry a coincidence?

20. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That wasn't because the ring was too cheap, it was because the ring was too expensive. Gold is extremely soft metal, the higher the carat weight the easier it is to scratch and bend.

IMO 18K gold is far too soft for a wedding ring. I would recommend 14K or even 10K instead. It will hold up much better. A wedding band is a utilitarian piece of jewelry, save the 18K for something decorative that isn't worn 24/7.