Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wedding gig in rain

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 2, 2003.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    <table width=600><tr><td>Played a wedding last Saturday, it was an outdoors affair. Only problem was it was freezing cold and raining. The band was huddling under a canopy wiping water off the gear, and the guests were huddling around gas heaters in a big party tent. By the time the dancing started about half the guests had left. The lights on stage attracted a bunch of big wasps that swarmed near our singers head, she could barely sing. We got help from a girl in the audience and killed the buggers with hairspray (!). After two sets my right hand suddenly snapped painfully shut from cramp. Luckily I could tease it open and survive the last two songs, and after warming it up during the break I played the shortened third set with some discomfort. Right after we finished playing one of the guests, drunk as a skunk, walks up and rips out the main power cord and distribution box, leaving the stage in pitch black darkness. Apparently he has organized the power, and he wants to go home *now*. No arguing helped, even though he almost came to blows with the bride's father, so we had to pack our gear in the light of our car's headlights. Ain't gigging fun? :)

I feel sorry for the couple that got married, spend a large bundle on a party that fizzles out.
    </td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td>Another pic, guitar players worrying about cold, out of tune strings between sets.</td></tr><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>

2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sounds like a great gig to me.. :þ

3. rock on bro,:bassist :bassist:
    how mutch you get paid :p?

4. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Uhh, same as always - "not enough"! :p

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Isn't rain on your wedding day supposed to be good luck?

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Yes, I've heard that too, someone made a comment about that during the night.
    They should have plenty of luck then. :)