1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wedding gig - set list advice please!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hills1234, May 16, 2018.

1. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Looking for some set list advice for a wedding dance gig.

Setup is this: we’re mainly a blues band (BB King, Clapton, Hendrix, Gary Moore etc) but have been asked to do a wedding for a family member’s niece. Most of us have done weddings before but never in this band.

The bride’s brief was “I just like that old stuff my Dad likes (blues, classic rock etc)”! But they’re also into rock ‘n roll dancing so we’ll add in a healthy sprinkling of Bill Haley, Elvis, Chuck Berry and so on. Plus some slower numbers for waltzes and foxtrots, and a few obligatory party favorites. One of our singers also does a solo Elvis/Jerry Lee Lewis tribute show using backing tracks and playing keys, so the second set will be just him.

We’ve been asked to do three sets of 50 minutes. They’re doing their ‘first dance’ to a recorded track, then we take over. Here’s what we’ve come up with so far, enough material here to probably drop a couple. Comments and suggestions on selection, order, variety etc please!

SET 1
    1. Johnny B Goode (Chuck Berry)
    2. Hound Dog (Elvis Presley)
    3. Sweet Home Chicago (Eric Clapton)
    4. Moondance (Van Morrison)
    5. Have I Told You Lately (Van Morrison)
    6. Before You Accuse Me (Eric Clapton)
    7. Still Got the Blues (Gary Moore)
    8. Summertime Blues (Brian Setzer)
    9. Mustang Sally (The Commitments)
    10. Can’t Help Falling In Love (Elvis Presley)
    11. Norwegian Wood (Beatles)
    12. Route 66
    13. I Fought The Law (Clash)
    14. We Gotta Get Out of This Place (Animals)
    15. April Sun In Cuba (Dragon – a New Zealand party classic. Check it out!)

SET 2 (solo set)
    (Elvis)
    1. Blue Suede Shoes
    2. Baby Let’s Play House
    3. Heartbreak Hotel
    4. My Baby Left Me/That’s alright Mama
    (Jerry Lee Lewis)
    5. Whole Lotta Shakin’ Goin’ On
    6. High School Confidential
    7. Breathless
    8. Great Balls of Fire
    (Elvis)
    9. I Got A Woman
    10. Any Place is Paradise
    11. I Was the One
    12. Shake Rattle and Roll
    (Jerry Lee Lewis)
    13. What’d I Say
    14. Lovin’ Up a Storm
    15. I’m On Fire
    16. Wild Child
    (Elvis)
    17. Lawdy Miss Clawdy
    18. Reconsider Baby
    19. I Want You I Need You
    20. Mystery Train

SET 3
    1. Crossroads (Cream)
    2. Walking By Myself (Gary Moore)
    3. Rock Around The Clock (Bill Haley)
    4. See You Later Alligator (Bill Haley)
    5. Long Train Runnin’ (Doobie Bros)
    6. All day and all of the night (The kinks)
    7. Need Your Love So Bad (Fleetwood Mac)
    8. Gravity (John Mayer)
    9. Fly Me To The Moon (Frank Sinatra)
    10. Twist and Shout (Beatles)
    11. At the Hop (Danny and the Juniors)
    12. Fever (Michael Buble)
    13. Wade in the Water (Eva Cassidy)
    14. The Blues Is Alright (Gary Moore)
    15. R.O.C.K. in the USA (John Mellencamp)
    16. Summer of '69 - Bryan Adams (Bryan Adams)

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How old is this neice?

MrLenny1 and Ekulati like this.
  3. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Mid-20s ... but that's the material she likes! Well brought-up kid. :thumbsup:

4. All that old poopie is unbelievably fine for Kiwis of all generations to boogie on down with.

hills1234 likes this.
  5. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    I am always pleasantly surprised by the amount of people that get up to dance to April sun in Cuba. Throw some Bliss in there for the end of the last set... Geeeeeet yourself another

Downunderwonder and hills1234 like this.
  6. Bliss has some of the finest ass moving counterintuitive genius bass ever.

El Spearo likes this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would throw in a few newer artists - Locked Out of Heaven by Bruno Mars is easy to do, and a good tune. The Game of Love is a duet between Michelle Branch and Carlos Santana. Stuff like that. You can even make a joke about playing stuff for the next generation.

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Game of Love is over 15 years old. Not exactly newer....

9. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Compared to OP's setlist... it also works for the older generation (and is easy to sell to guitarists) because of the Santana guitar solo, and doesn't need much in the way of odd instruments (Which is what I am guessing OP is dealing with) - two guitars, bass, and drums and you can get by.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Ah, we're all getting on in years...

11. do a Havana/Smooth mashup - we are currently working up the arrangement in one of my bands. It. Will. Kill.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    If that's what you Bride wants, give it to her. That's a real orthopaedic shoes set list but it's her/her Dad paying the band.

With my long lived band, we were occasionally approached to do weddings. We were NOT a wedding band, so usually it was the bride who was a fan of ours. We explained- We do not change our show (jam bandish=show, what show?) We don't learn special numbers, we don't play the chicken dance or the hokey polka. We WILL dress nicely, and there will probably be a space jam thrown in somewhere in the set. If you are a band that does weddings- play the game, if you are not- Get the wedding to play your game.
    If the bride requests Scarlett Begonias as her first dance- it's going to be a good wedding.

Jimmy4string and Seanto like this.
  13. What? No 'Sweet Caroline'? Chicken Dance? Don't Stop Believin'? No polka?

...what's the world coming too? :rollno:

14. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    "Picture in a Frame" - Tom Waits. slow dance

15. As a wedding band survivor, it is more important to have a Do Not Play list. Songs like Love Hurts, Beauty and the Beast, You Give Love a Bad Name, have no business at a nuptial celebration.

Also, be prepared for a lot of extra work and preparation for a wedding, as you field requests from the bride, like “the Muppet Show Theme is our song. Please learn it for our first dance,” and “my stepmother loves Aerosmith, but my mother can’t stand them, so none while my mother is in the room.”

16. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    We should have a thread for wedding band stories. I remember one I did where the groom was Jewish, and the bride Japanese. First half of the reception was dead, but a few drinks later the Grandmother was leading the conga line to "Locomotion" in her kimono.

17. hills1234

hills1234

May 6, 2007
    NZ
    Quick report back: the gig went fine! Dance floor was full all night long with everyone from the 20-somethings to the 60-somethings rockin' away. We ended up dropping a few slower songs 'cause they just wanted to party. Bride and groom both said they had a great time. Thanks for all the great suggestions ... and we might do this again.